Friday, 3 January 2014

New Year Quilting

New Year weather has, so far, not been particularly conducive to walking although Daisy and I had a nice hour at the beach yesterday.  Definitely the 'calm before the storm', today the coast road is closed due to flooding and debris thrown up.





It is, however, weather that's particularly suitable for sewing and I've had a few good sessions with machine and fabric.  I finally machined the binding onto the lovely 'Random' quilt - this is the insanity which is my current inability to completely finish something.  I love this quilt, I'm more pleased with this than almost anything else I made last year and yet it has taken me since 27th November to put the binding on (and I still have to hand sew it finished).

The Grand Plans for a yoga-supplies bag never came to anything so I've chopped up the quilted fabric into place-mat sized pieces.  Two were bound and finished last year and I've finally got another four ready for hand-finishing.



I have this LUDICROUS plan that in the future I might actually completely finish (ie: quilt and bind) one top before I start the next.  The only reason this insane proposition might come to something is that I hate and detest having unquilted tops laying around.   
Do not watch this space.  
Do not say 'ha ha I told you so' when I start piecing something new before the end of the month.  
Do not pass Go.  
Do not collect £200!

So, with this mad plan in mind I have pieced a backing for a Christmassy quilt top (do I really need any more red & green quilts?)


 
The centre panel is special :}  I bought the 'Cardinal' fabric in St Louis whilst staying with J.  It's been in my stash a very long time and I just didn't want to cut it up.



and made a major alteration to the Christmas Charmer top. The more I looked at this top the more I was irritated I got.  When I was piecing it I didn't think through the consequences of having red squares in the corners of the four blocks meet the red sashing around the centre block. I know from experience if something is bothering me in a quilt top I need to fix it because ignoring the problem won't make it any better.  I'm more than a little annoyed with myself because I knew when I was putting the top together that this part of it wasn't right and I ignored the little voice that was squeaking in the background .... when will I learn?



A small 'stash reduction' top I made last year had a Topsy moment and grew with the addition of a couple of borders.  It's now 50" square and a useful size, and has a backing too.




So it's now time to dust off the longarm and turn this little pile into quilts . . .

11 comments:

  1. You're not the only one who has loads of unfinished projects around the house! I'm determined to finish the quilts/ crochet that are sitting patiently awaiting completion. There always seems to be better things to do though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not just me! How about 'treating yourself' to one new start for every finish?

      Delete
  2. You could always send them down to me to hand sew the bindings. You know I really love doing that. I promise to return them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, and thank you, but I quite like doing them once I get on with it. My trouble is there's always something else shouting louder for my attention.

      I see I am not the only one who has had a 'fix it now or hate it forever' quilting moment recently :}

      Delete
  3. I'm not a even going to try and have everything finished before I start something else or I may have a coronary. I'll plod along, but set myself some gentle goals to work towards. Life just gets in the way sometimes to be that committed to only one thing at a time. BTW, I agree with both you and Sue, about something that is not quite right and usually go with my instinct even if others don't agree. Looking forward to see what you quilt on those two tops. Don't stress and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, you are a sweetie but for me, having stuff laying around unfinished is way more stressful than setting a goal to get things completed.

      I have already (nearly) finalised my quilting plans - I think you'll be surprised {grin}.

      Delete
  4. I love to see your quilting projects Jayne, finished or otherwise :-) Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, got to keep busy somehow {snortle}, far too wet and windy to be outside doing anything.

      Delete
  5. What lovely quilts there!! I don't blame you one bit for not cutting up the cardinal fabrics. Those St. Louis cardinals would have needed that quilt (and a whole bunch more) today. They got pounded with nasty weather. We were running madly just ahead of that nasty weather front trying to get back home from our visit with the kids.

    Stay warm. And Happy New Year, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardinals will need more than a quilt - I've just seen a news report about weather in America with mention of a wind chill of minus 50 in some places. Sounds like you got home just in time, stay safe and Happy New Year.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, we got home before the worst of it, but its still supposed to be down to about 17 degrees tonight. Can you say brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}