Monday, 20 January 2014

It's about time we had a bit of progress in the garden

It was a shock to see that the last time LP worked here was 26th November.  The combination of holidays and appalling weather means that seven weeks have gone by since we made any progress on the Veg Patch. 

On Monday morning I left LP to finish construction on the 8 metre long bed whilst Daisy and I had a pleasant walk at Mawbray.  At Management's suggestion we are going to mount an IBC tank next to the black trellis (as soon as he's able to weld a steel frame for it) so a new panel has been fitted in and we've finished all the inner bits and pieces.  The DPC is to keep wet soil away from timber and the plastic conduit will hold bits of rebar onto which I can fix plastic hoops when I want to cover the soil. We've also added coach bolts to the front edge and a couple of internal braces.  I have visions of the constant weight of wet soil pushing the boards out and I'd really prefer that not to happen :}

We* were able to make a start on putting soil in the bed but ran out of daylight before much could be achieved.  Never mind, it might be slow progress but at least we're going in the right direction.




* that's the "Royal We".  LP did all the lifting, I stood around in supervisory capacity.

6 comments:

  1. It's going to be the business. What are you going to grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy stuff that I can't mess up, Veggies are not my strong point!
      Salad leaves, potatoes, carrots, artichoke, asparagus, peas?

      Delete
  2. You should be ready for the veg planting season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Sue, but only if the rain lets up and the ground dries enough for us to move around on it :{

      Delete
  3. Great to catch up again with what you've all been up to! I'm not surprised at how bad the conditions are up with you - we're well sodden down here...so fed up of rain now that I'm thinking of doing the snow dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely Gnome :} Conditions here might be bad but nothing like the dreadful flooding that so many other areas are having to live with. My biggest problem right now is a STINKING cold - haven't had one this bad for ten years or more. Uurrggh, where's the tissues .....

      When I can see straight I will be studying the latest developments at Gnome Towers with great interest :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}