Friday, 31 January 2014

A strange few days

It's been a strange few days and I'll be glad when January is over and done with.  Last week I learned that whilst I am not ill, I am not as healthy as I thought I was and a few adjustments need to be made.  Nothing to panic over, not quite ready to talk about it.

On Friday we attended Bert's funeral.  The crematorium was 'standing room only' and it was a good service but it has been a shock to see our friend go from "poorly" to "goodbye" in less than four months.  Even when in great pain Bert was always cheerful and loved the part he played in helping to create Bag End.  We are all very sad he won't see it finished.



(March 2012 helping us move a huge pile of pony poo off the drive)

On Saturday morning I started to sneeze and that, together with a constantly streaming nose, did not stop for three days;  I haven't had a cold this bad for ten years.  I spent the entire weekend collapsed either in bed or in front of the woodburner.  Management was considerably more sympathetic than Daisy who just wanted to go for a long walk ... For a brief, fever induced moment, I considered being trendy and taking a 'Selfie' showing what three days of constant tissues does to nose/philtrum/upper lip.  Be forever relieved I didn't.  

The rain relented mid-week and LP came in for a couple of days proving that I am completely surplus to requirements in my own garden.  On Wednesday I didn't have the strength to do much more than tell him what to work on, and then return to the sofa collapsed in a heap.  Without any assistance from me he lined the "stepped" raised bed with DPC, spread our remaining tiny supply of bark chip over the most worn sections of paths, and attacked the stumps in the nursery area with serious malice!





Daisy Is Not Happy.  She does not understand what crime she had committed which resulted in my refusing to walk her at the weekend;  in Daisy-World going out with Daddy just doesn't cut the mustard.  Now that's he's gone back to wherever he goes when he is not here Her Ladyship reckons my day ought to be filled with car rides to fell-sides.

Her life is full of disappointment but the restorative powers of a new rugby ball should never be underestimated.



On Thursday morning we worked in the greenhouse.  That is the Royal We again - I sat in a corner and told LP what I wanted which was another raised bed.   I think I'll get more use out of the sheltered greenhouse space if I grow in soil, I hope it will help regulate the temperature in summer, supposedly my tomatoes will be better and even if none of the above is true, I just want to do it :}

He was only available until lunchtime but made a great start and will be back on Monday.





Today I am back to wobbly legs, head full of porridge and feeling utter rubbish again. Yesterday three separate people told me I looked absolutely dreadful and that it sounded like I had flu, not a cold. I am starting to wonder if at least one of them might be right?



10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've not been well, I hope it all disappears and leaves you full of life before Daisy gives you up as a lost hope. Thank God for rugby balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, I think it will be a while before Daisy abandons me completely. From her point of view there are still many plus points about being forced to live at Bag End. The wood burner is one of them and given how FOUL it is outside (wind, rain, cold) I am going to light it right now :} Guess where Madam will spend the remainder of the day?

      Delete
  2. I do hope that you will be fit and well again soon - so does Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you so much. Apologies for being absent from GLA but I've just not had the energy to keep up with my favourite blogs over the past few weeks.

      Delete
    2. No problem just take care of yourself!

      Delete
  3. Take care Jayne. The wood burner sounds like an excellent idea for you too, especially if the garden is progressing nicely even while you have your feet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, the wood burner and a boxed set of The West Wing have been good companions over the last week :}

      Delete
  4. Oh, girl, it does sound like you have that awful crud!! Please take care of yourself. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks FFG, "crud" describes this very well :} Hugs back to you.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}