Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Weather

The British are very good at talking about the weather and at present we have even more excuse than usual.  For once, however, the North West appears to be getting off relatively lightly and Bag End is mostly unscathed by the current torrential rain and gale force winds. Another bit of windbreak netting came down a couple of nights ago but seeing as we only used timber offcuts to make the post extensions I'm not really surprised.

Walking down by the river is an impossibility at present, the ground is flooded almost as badly as during the November 2009 disaster.

Looking east towards Cockermouth



Looking west, out of focus because the wind was so strong it was impossible to stand completely still



Management and I went to Workington yesterday and found Morrisons quieter than on a normal shopping day.  This morning Keswick was eerily empty, in more than one store the staff outnumbered customers by at least two to one.  We got what little shopping was needed and came home, there is only three of us here for the holidays and neither Management or I want to have a food-fest.

Daisy and I are both getting a bit stir crazy - it's too wet to go to the river, too muddy to walk in wooded areas (and there have been a LOT of huge trees blown down so I am a tad apprehensive about walking amongst trees) and the fells are almost impossible.  I've had trouble walking along the pavement by the house, I think we would both be blown off our feet on exposed fell-side.

This afternoon Daisy and I had a blustery hour at Harris Park.  She was obviously happy to be out but not keen on being blown around.  The River Cocker was running horribly fast and deep and I continue to be grateful that Daisy has absolutely no inclination to go into the water.  A man died near Ambleside yesterday when he went into the Rothay to rescue his dog - the dog got out of the water, the owner didn't.  Talking to a lady I met in the park this afternoon we both agreed that, however stupid it was, we would probably both do the same thing for our own four-legs.





8 comments:

  1. Merry Xmas Bilbo ( and M & D). Gee, the weather certainly looks bad so you take care when out. There is just the two of us this year as well. All kids tied up with in-laws. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas Susan, guess you will be much warmer than us :} have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. We are also getting off lightly so far.

    Quiet day for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care Sue, hope you enjoy all the home-grown goodies that you have frozen/preserved/saved.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas, Bilbo. Hope the new year is filled with joy and good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFG, Holiday blessings to you and yours :}

      Delete
  4. I hope the flooding doesn't get any worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, much of the water has drained away but the ground is completely saturated. Any more storms and the water levels will be right back up again.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}