Thursday, 19 December 2013

The calm before the next storm

It was a noisy night but thankfully no power cuts.  According to the morning TV news Cumbria was hit quite badly with 2,500 homes still without electric.  We're forecast another gale for tomorrow but thankfully today has been much less windy, although far colder than of late. This is all relative of course - I had to come inside to escape hail storms on more than one occasion whilst repairing the fence. A lot of snow visible on Skiddaw and some on the Grisedale Pike/Grasmoor massif.





In the grey light of today there is less damage here than I feared. We have got off far more lightly than some neighbours; when I walked Daisy around the block first thing I saw at least three properties with missing ridge tiles and closer to home, Mr Clutter has lost a small bit of roof.  He's lucky the wind did not get further under the tiles and lift a larger section.





Fortunately the Bag End timber supply yielded enough 4" x 1" to repair/replace all the uprights that were snapped in the wind.



Last night I moved most of the plants that had been on the nursery area staging, tidying up everything else can wait until it's a bit nicer outside.





Daisy seemed quite happy with her role as General Assistant.  She knows it won't be long before I stop what I'm doing and chuck the ball around for her again.



Long-term I think we have to face up to the fact that the fencing along the back will have to be replaced (I don't want to measure but it's a huge number of metres). From the point of view of security, privacy and dog safety ultimately we need more than the 3 foot high picket fence and the windbreak netting can only ever be considered temporary. One of the main problems is that the ground along the garden boundary is permanently wet.  When the wind buffets the fence the posts move slightly because the ground isn't firm enough to hold them steady.  LP has knocked in extra fence posts at ad hoc intervals and this morning I screwed in a couple of braces.





7 comments:

  1. Keep safe. Sounds like we will spend Christmas holding on to fences and anything else likely to take flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, haven't seen the forecast for next week yet but I'm guessing anything not bolted down is going to be following Rudolf over the horizon?

      Keep yourself and those ducks safe :}

      Delete
  2. Would willow hedging work along the damp boundary or do you want a fence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent suggestion Sue and one of the many things which Management and I have been discussing.

      Delete
  3. Pleased your roof is still on :-) Take care in these wild winds we are having. Sounds like tomorrow is going to be bad again for the West side of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess Jill, I did have a close look at the solar panels :} Hope all your trees are OK, there have been a lot of large ones blown down around here.

      Delete
  4. There was a large tree down in the wood but luckily not close to our house or garden. Hope you all have a lovely and peaceful Christmas x

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}