Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Down the Rabbit Hole

I may finally have learnt never to say never . . .

I was NEVER going to have another dog after the pain of saying goodbye to Ollie.  Where would I be now without Daisy?

I was NEVER going to cut my long hair, it is now as short as it's ever been in my life and I love it.

I was NEVER going to read books in any form other than printed dead trees.

But the inexorable progress of eBooks marches slowly onwards.  When I saw my friend Kath embrace not just reading books on Kindle, but the whole world of Indie publishing which accompanies the new technology I started to take note.  Kath is one of the smartest people I know and if she thought something was ~that~ good then maybe I ought not ignore it?  I downloaded the Kindle App onto both my Mac and laptop and started to read a little.  Good but not physically 'right'.  So I tried the little tablet I use just for my GPS.  Better but too small a screen.  I then umm-ed and err-ed until eventually buying a Kindle Paperwhite, an easy decision when I ruled out a 'Fire' because I didn't care about colour or watching videos and wanted the non-reflective, non-backlit screen because it is kinder on my eyes.

Geeky-Hobbit loves this explanation from the New York Times:



To my intense surprise it has been a Whoosh, Down the Rabbit Hole experience. In the last three weeks I have read 12 books and abandoned two because they were absolute rubbish, and am half-way through two others (one is scientific and can only be managed in small doses). 

I've also discovered the wonders of Calibre to organise my eBooks, it's much easier to download everything onto the Mac and then sideload only what I am reading onto the Paperwhite.

Which sort of explains why there is so little 'normal' Bag End activity and very little which is blog-worthy.  It's taken a while but Hobbit is finally kicking-back and relaxing big time :}








12 comments:

  1. I am hoping the same is going to happen to me, having just got my first tablet. Glad you're getting on with it so well. I see Christmas, feet up, glass of something, whoosh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Jessica. I've read more books in the last three weeks than in the last six months :}

      Delete
  2. I learnt a long time ago never to say never. Life takes you on many a journey, times change and we change, so it's more about embracing the moment. I've not read much lately, but then I'm not one to relax and wind down, I'm afraid. I also love gardening/quilting/reference type books and not sure how I'd like them on a tablet, but I have just bought Virginia Woolf's Garden (hardback) and am enjoying it thoroughly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I think you are right - the reference books we like don't work on a Kindle. I'm only using mine for 'words only' books.

      Delete
  3. I'm not saying a word - either about the Kindle or the relaxing .............

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny. I always thought I'd prefer a real book in my hands, too. I still love the feel of a real book but find that I'm reading a lot more on my kindle HD. I originally got my Kindle for a birding app called iBird Pro. Then I drifted to Netflix and books. Now, I download 3 or 4 books at a time. Some are kinda trashy but fun, and then others are more serious stuff. I'm so accustomed to having it now that I'd be lost without it. Don't use it much for general internet stuff, although I could. I'm glad you're enjoying your Paperwhite. And you've well earned the slower time this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning FFG, I still like 'real' books and for anything with images they are the only way to go. I always used to read voraciously, it is only since getting bogged down in all the house/garden refurbishment I have been too tired to do so. It's lovely to be reading again and if it took technology to do it, then so be it.

      Delete
  5. I still like my paper books, but since I got a kobo glo earlier in the year I've read so much more. I'm definitely a convert! I used to read books on my tablet but found the eye strain too much - hence the dedicated ereader :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, the eye strain factor was the big decider for me. Glad your Kobo is working for so well you :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}