Sunday, 29 December 2013

A quiet Christmas

It's been a quiet holiday at chez Bilbo, partly because Management is exhausted from working too hard and has a cold, and partly because I've felt quite grotty since Christmas Eve.  The cause of my malaise was eventually diagnosed as my own baking . . .

The problem was my trying to create homemade granola bars with less fat & sugar than store-bought ones. I've been experimenting with various recipes and finally I cracked it!  A cereal/breakfast bar which was not too sweet, was moist and soft but didn't disintegrate all over the place, and full of oats, nuts and seeds.  Into the "assorted nuts & seeds" component I added Linseeds from the supermarket bakery range.  Some days of considerable discomfort later it dawned on me that the only thing I'd eaten which was not usual were the linseeds and a short time on Google produces the glorious information that it's a known gastric irritant, causes cramps & indigestion and all sorts of other unpleasant side-effects in some people.  Oh goody.



I wasn't so poorly that I had to stay indoors, in fact, going for walks took my mind off the discomfort.  The good news (and there always is some) is that we've had a few days of settled weather and I was able to take Daisy out for proper walks.  Unfortunately they've only been "three milers" which is not nearly enough to tire out Her Ladyship.  All I seem to be doing is making her fitter and more muscled.  On Boxing Day we all went to the beach, remarkably there was no wind.  Himself likes to walk on the sand so we split up to encourage Daisy to run between us.  That lasted as long as the sand was dry, once we got to a bit with water laying on the sand she wasn't at all keen so our attempt to tire her out failed miserably :}







Looking in the other direction, the Back o'Skidda fells were bathed in sunshine.



Yesterday we had another lovely walk around Sale Fell and saw very few people.  Fairly windy on the summit, and Daisy wasn't in the mood to pose at Lothwaite :}





This morning we had a pleasant meander around Whinlatter, starting near Swinside Cottages.  The area underneath Hobcarton Crags is one of the finest examples of a glacial corrie in the Lake District, although sadly there's no tarn under the headwall.  The proper path ends where a forestry road stops and at present it's too wet to have much of a play off piste but I'm looking forward to exploring this area when the ground isn't so saturated.





There were a couple of (fool?) hardy souls on the ridge between Ladyside Pike and the Hopegill slabs.  A bit too windy and slippery for my liking.






9 comments:

  1. Sorry you weren't feeling great. I hop you still managed to enjoy your Beef Wellington though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It was delicious, as always, but I didn't have much of an appetite. Hope all your 'festivities' went without incident.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you sorted out the problem, so hopefully feeling a lot better now. And at least you got in some decent walks. Love that beach.
    A very Happy New Year to you Bilbo, Management and Daisy. Finding your blog has been a real pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, blush. Thank you Jessica, and same back to you. I am very 'behind' in catching up with all the blogs I enjoy, and yours is a delight; I love reading what you and Mike have been up to. If only you didn't live so ruddy far away.

      Delete
  3. I am feeling so refreshed! It's as though I've had my own meander on the fells after reading this wonderful post! Happy New Year to you, Jayne, and I will try to be a more consistent reader and commenter in the new year. The photos you take of your area are such a delight, and the commentary that you add is equally delightful. As I said, I feel quite refreshed from my morning walk! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, more blushing:} Thank you Jayne, and I am glad you've enjoyed our walks.

      Only come and visit 'Bag End' when you feel like it and have the time, although I do love getting comments, makes me feel less like I am talking to myself :} I am just as bad for not keeping up with blogs which I like; I think many of us suffer from wanting to do more than we have time for.

      Happy New Year, may 2014 bring you health, happiness, laughter and love.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos as always Jayne. I love to see the sea and the mountain. Happy New Year to you all over at your Bag End. Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I hope you are feeling better now you have sussed the problem! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Jill, my New Year photos not quite as stunning as your sunset pictures :} It's taking a while but I'm feeling much better thanks.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}