Wednesday, 18 December 2013

67 mph

Yesterday started very icy but that soon melted away and the rest of the day was dry and sunny.  I just wasn't in the mood to go for a long walk so Daisy and I spent most of the day in the garden.  It was lovely to putter around, a bit of weeding, a bit of tidying up, and lots of throwing the ball for Her Ladyship.

Today could not have been more different, one of those days where it never seemed to get light.  Low cloud, rain, wind all day. 

Not surprisingly it has been difficult to persuade Daisy to go outside for toilet breaks.  Just before 8.00 I'd got us both dressed up to face the Great Outdoors when there was an almighty screaming roar.  Now I understand when writers describe high winds as being like a freight train bearing down on you.  Daisy turned tail and fled back to the safety of the sitting room, I was mad enough to step outside.

The anemometer scored its highest reading yet:

 

Five minutes later the worst was over and I could persuade Daisy out for a pee.  Not surprisingly the dustbins were strewn across the drive, a tarpaulin was about to break its last remaining tie and head for the hills and some terracotta pots are no more.  All the staging has blown over in the nursery area but thankfully the greenhouse looks fine.  The worst damage is to my windbreak netting.  Many of the fence extensions have snapped and I've got a lot of straightening up to do tomorrow. Irritating but could be so much worse.  The lights are flickering a bit so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a power cut overnight.
 
I was planning on going metric next year but 107.8 kph sounds just way too frightening . . .

8 comments:

  1. Hideously windy here too - the cats are refusing to go for a pee break outside. Domino is content to use the - er - indoor faclities; I have to have a huge scrap with Oli to get him outside.

    Bit of a candid camera moment (repeated many times) is when I open the back door; he minces out onto the step; I move him on out into the courtyard, closing the door; he does a slicjk manoeuvre which leaves him though the catflap and in the warm and dry, and me outside on the step in the cold and rain. *sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have 'indoor facilities', not really an option for a Daisy-sized hound. Would love to see the catflap fandango - you should set up a video camera!

      Delete
  2. Not too bad here - I thought reading your title you were dashing off to do some Christmas shopping before the shops closed for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 67mph on roads around here will just get me 3 points and a large fine :{

      Delete
  3. I'm just odd temperature in °C, rainfall in mm and wind speed in mph. I don't know if that's metric or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our age Martyn :} I've had to accept temperature in °C but prettymuch everything else is still imperial

      Delete
  4. We got our share after dark last night. No damage that I can find, but I wasn't looking forward to going out to check. Take care Bilbo, sounds like it will be with us for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, hope things stay safe at Duck Towers. More forecast for the weekend.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}