Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Solitude on Sale Fell

After far too many consecutive days spent in the garden Daisy and I needed to get out for a proper walk.  Despite it being relatively clear and dry at the altitude where normal people spend their days, higher up it was cloudy and visibility wasn't too good.  That's probably why, when we arrived at Sale Fell, I had the unusual experience of being the only person there.  I think this is probably only the second time ever that we've had the place to ourselves. It was a lovely walk, both Madam and I seemed to have loads of energy and we hit the summit with barely a pause en route.  It makes a difference when there's little visibility and therefore reduced reasons to stop and get a camera out!


 
I was talking to a neighbour recently who has sheep and commented on how it's possible to walk Daisy very close to sheep without them becoming spooked by our presence.  She reckoned that the animals aren't always as stupid as they pretend and know who they have to be concerned about, it would appear Little Miss Perfect isn't on that list :}



She's learnt that sitting nicely on the summit always produces biscuits and then, just for the hell of it (and a new pair of very lightweight Haglofs) I ran nearly all the way back to the car.  Well stuff that for a game of tiddlywinks, I really don't think I'll be taking up fell-running any time soon.





Apart from the risk of slipping on damp grass when travelling at speed and the additional pounding and load which running places on ankles, knees and hips, there is the significant and unpredictable danger of an over-excited dog who thinks that Mummy travelling at a pace which matches hers is such terrific fun that she'll see just how many times she can run under my feet.  I have no idea how the pair of us didn't end up a mess of falling arms and legs but I think I will go back to descending at a more leisurely pace in future.  I'm definitely too old for all this sprinting around :}



11 comments:

  1. Oh, but the joy you both experienced at the moment!!! Me? I'd have taken two steps and then rolled the rest of the way down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG, if Daisy had got any more in the way I would have been rolling down! I don't know about both of us experiencing joy - it was a good laugh but I think I am more suited to walking :}

      Delete
  2. Well, how irritating blogger can be when it swallows comments!

    I found your post very funny! I can just see you bowling downhill in a great bundle with Daisy!

    Not for me - although my bod is forgiving enough to have taken running up a couple of year ago in its middle aged stride, my knees do tell me off every now and again even in the tame surroundings of Sutton Park and the odd cross country sojourn without mucking about on the serious inclines of the fells.

    Lovely pics, as ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you lost your first comment and thank you for persevering. I suppose it would have been funny if Daisy and I have careened down the hill doing an impersonation of a bad Tom & Jerry cartoon ... funny for anyone watching :}

      Delete
  3. I managed to find a raincoat for Tivvy but now I have to create a large buttonhole to feed her harness through - nost seem designed to wear with a collar.

    I don't think sheep are at all stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, on the odd occasions I put a harness on Daisy I loosen the straps so it goes completely over her coat. Don't see the point in buying a waterproof coat and then cutting a hole in the middle of the back ....

      Delete
    2. It's only really a button-hole and this fastens around where the lead pops through so there isn't a gap left. Tiv's has her harness on in the car so I can fasten her seat belt to it and I usually pop her coat on when we get out to go walking so don't want to faff around loosening the harness. Once the car stops she is so excited and raring to go walking that she is very wriggly at that point.

      Delete
  4. Must have been something in the air for all that nonsense and I feel it too these days when the grandkids want me to run around, but I can still do it, and the foot and back pay for it later. Great pics of Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it hurts later Susan, but a small price to pay for making memories with the grandkids?

      Delete
  5. Great post Jayne, you can me sitting here laughing at you and Daisy running down the hill. I can just imagine Daisy's great excitement lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't laugh too much Jill, or I'll make you run with me next time :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}