Thursday, 21 November 2013

Final fire

LP is due on Friday to start constructing raised beds in the vegetable patch so I had a small window of opportunity in which to have the final bonfire and chose Wednesday night for the inferno.  Once we've filled up this area with carefully constructed beds there won't be anywhere at Bag End to have conflagrations, large or small.



A chance conversation meant I added a small pile of leylandii clippings from a neighbour to my own rubbish.  They were both incredibly grateful and completely confused as to why I would want to burn their rubbish.  I didn't bother to explain it was a last, personal farewell to Fangorn Forest; they already think I am completely barking and references to Tolkien would have possibly tipped them over the edge :}

Daisy stayed inside, she might like to lie as close as physically possible to the woodburner but she was very unimpressed with a garden bonfire.



The Final Fire was a good one - lit easily, got going well and burnt through everything, there was very little left in the morning.  It was still windy so I had to nip out of the way of a shower of sparks on a few occasions but, amazingly, for once the wind was coming from the north and I didn't send smoke in the direction of any neighbours.

Once everything was on the pyre I sat with a bottle of cold beer and fire-gazed, well, it would have been rude not to. There's something very satisfying about sitting cogitating in front of a fire, I think that's why I love the wood burner so much :}





It was a good end to our Bag End Bonfire antics, hopefully in future I will be able to compost or shred nearly all the rubbish the garden produces. 

16 comments:

  1. I love a good bonfire too but since we 'tidied up' our bonfire site there is nowhere for us to have one now. Something primeval about a good fire outside :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need bigger gardens Jill, with room for an untidy bit :}

      Delete
  2. Lol I think the bonfire might get reinstated sometime in the future. It's very untidy down there still with piles of wood that need sawing or chopping for the fire. Winter home for a few creatures I reckon! We need a bigger log store not a bigger garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have regular bonfires, couldn't do without it. Even with the composting and shredding there is always the too big, too much and just plain too nasty (nettle root and bindweed) that needs obliteration. The ash is stirred into the compost anyway so it still contributes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thanks for saying 'hello'. Sorry I haven't been to yours for a while :{ We're fortunate to have three huge green wheelie bins which the Council collect and that's where I can get rid of nettle root, brambles and the like. You're right about ash in the compost though, we do that too.

      Delete
  4. That's a shame, Hobbit - I know how much you enjoy a good bonfire, and you've certainly some of those at Bag End!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel, all good things come to an end and I guess it's time for my pyromania to be confined to the woodburner :}

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, started it slowly and gave the base time to get hot before I loaded it up.

      Delete
  6. Although no more bonfires, it must be satisfying to know the last bit of the garden will be underway and then the fun of keeping it the way you want it will be so rewarding. I haven't done the whole journey with you, but it's been fascinating and I look forward to watch it grow through the seasons. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite the last bit Susan, there's the overgrown juniper and what's left of the tangled shrubbery next to the Top Pond . . . a job for next Spring.

      Delete
  7. I've heaps of rubbish to burn on the plot. We're supposed to use one of those little tin incinerator things to burn our rubbish. Not half as satisfying as a good bonfire. Might just have to break the rules - again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martyn, I had one of those incinerator/dustbins things - absolutely useless. You have to cut the stuff up so small to get it INTO the dustbin, and having to drop new material into the top (over the flames) was dangerous. I gave it away and haven't missed it.

      Delete
  8. The bottom fell out of our incinerator so it was just a cylinder and believe it or not someone stole it from the plot presumably for the meta content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be 'metal' content. Far too light fingered on the keyboard rather than someone being light fingered on the plot.

      Delete
    2. Oh Sue, that's dreadful, (the theft, not your typing!!!)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}