Saturday, 30 November 2013

Christmas Charmer

Back in January (eek, was it really the beginning of the year, where has 2013 gone?) lots of quilters around the blogosphere decided to make a quilt called Country Charmer, designed by Lynn Wilder.  I joined in but didn't get very far.  I did, however, get this top made which I'm delighted with for two reasons.  One is that it's something I have wanted to create for ages and the other is that it got me sewing again after a couple of years when I didn't touch a needle or thread.



Fast forward to late summer during a chat with my friend Sue.  She is good friends with Lynn and let me into a secret.  Not only was she making a proper Country Charmer quilt but there was another quilt being created about which Lynn knew nothing - a smaller version, in Christmas fabrics.  I asked to see the design and was instantly smitten.

 

I knew I could scale this up from Sue's 8" blocks to 12" and it leant itself to Sue's signature style of just using four fabrics.  A huge departure for me because I come from the "why on earth restrict yourself to four fabrics when you could use forty" school of quiltmaking.

I started the top on 20th September



It was finished except for final borders by the 29th (told you I was smitten) and completed three days later.  I decided to add large outer borders to give myself space to get into serious trouble with the quilting which, naturally, has not started yet.  The pastel Irish Chain quilt has only been sitting on a hanger since February, so this one had no chance of being finished for Christmas 2013!  Despite the atrocious photo the top is a beautiful 65" square and is going to be stunning once it's covered with quilted feathers :}



As this was a surprise for Lynn I promised Sue not to show it until today.  Daisy got in on the act and is trying to hide the design as best she can ...




21 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love the concept of using four fabrics. Stunning.quilt...so glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley, I'm so pleased to have completed SOMETHING seeing as I failed to do the 'proper' quilt. You have full permission to regularly nag me to see if I have made a start on quilting it :}

      Delete
  2. I love your Irish chain quilt! The quilt is very pretty in the soft, peaceful colors. And I do love me an Irish chain.

    Four fabrics were perfect for the little Country Charmer. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. Both quilts were a delight to make and it's so good to be out of the 'non-quilting' rut that I'd been stuck in.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I can see the quilted feathers now......it's going to be a stunner. How different the blocks looks made with only four colors. Thank you for joining in the QAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, you can blame Sue for just four fabrics :}

      Delete
  4. Good job, Bilbo. Glad to see you're sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both yours and Sue's tops and I was only wondering the other day if you'd both got going on the "secret". I'm so pleased you are sewing again and can't wait to see the tops quilted. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It will be a while before either are quilted, they both need feathers and I am very out of practise.

      Delete
  6. Both of your quilts are wonderful! The Irish Chain is so restful and cozy and your exchange of fabric usage comfort zones with Sue, who has learned that she can do scrappy, is great. We've certainly all pushed our boundaries and expanded our horizons! Give Sue a BIG squeeze from me when you see her next! My Maecee & your Daisy have a lot in common...the pictures of her when she first came to us bring tears to my eyes. They give back a thousand fold don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy Ann. Some lovely quilts have been created during this QAL. Daisy would say 'hi' but she's got an upset tummy and has taken herself off to bed feeling quite glum. Give Maecee a hug from us.

      Delete
  7. Looks fantastic. And I love your dog, she loves this quilt ;-)
    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Girt, Daisy was just being polite - she really prefers soft fleece!

      Delete
  8. Ha - and Sue said you were the trouble maker - I think it is the other way around. Both are wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't believe everything Sue tells you :} Thank you for the nice comments.

      Delete
  9. Don't understand a word but they look beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they'll look better quilted Jill, rather than just pieced tops.

      Delete
  10. I just can't believe I'm being blamed as a trouble-maker! All I did was show you mine.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}