Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Two more 'half days'

Very productive Monday and Tuesday afternoons have seen both the main sections of lawn thoroughly 'aerated'.  The Mantis has aerator blades but they just slice the soil to a depth of about three of four inches (and probably slice numerous worms in half too).  The "LP attachment" is a patiently inserted fork to a depth of about ten inches, stones permitting.  In an ideal world we'd add a sandy top dressing but that can wait until next year.  What we've done is already more care than the lawn has received in the last decade or so.  I'm ignoring the creeping buttercup and clover ...



The next job on our list was trellis bordering the vegetable area.  It's almost a record that the posts for this only went in 177 days ago,  normally takes us much longer to get around to finishing something! LP cut and fixed timber and I painted it as we went.  Hateful job and by the end of Tuesday I was more than a little sick of black fence preservative but it's much easier to paint pre-cut lengths rather than a completed trellis.  Daisy just supervised :}









We had a huge delivery mid-afternoon - the timber for more raised beds.







The 3" posts fitted into the back of the Little Red Tractor but LP set to and moved every one of the 4.8m boards by hand.





Whilst he completed that herculean task I laid black membrane and moved more of our dwindling stock of bark chips.  That's a job which has only waited 107 days for me to get off my butt and finish!



That's it for LP for a couple of weeks, he's busy and I've got things to do and our free days don't coincide until the end of the month.  




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really productive couple of days, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I confess I am struggling to keep motivated at present so it is nice to do work which has a rewarding "end".

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hey Missy, (a) it's not a competition (b) Unlike you, I don't have to contend with a slope that's at a precipitous and ankle breaking angle. And it sounds like I need to bimble over to your blog and see what you've been up to ... whoosh

      Delete
  3. So LP is back and Daisy is back in her coat. I'd like to find a suitable waterproof coat for Tivvy that protects her tummy but don't want something with a hood and leggings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you might like to look at this Hurtta coat, it's effectively the same as Daisy wears in really cold weather but without the uber-warm lining.
      http://www.hurttacollection.com/en/outdoors-en/products/rain-clothing/raincoat/

      Delete
    2. I had a look - does it cover the tummy as in the larger picture it looks like just a strap underneath. Another problem is no local distributors and I'd really like to try it on her. If I didn't want waterproof I'd have a go at making something.

      Delete
  4. Haven't heard of LP for a while, but it must be good having him back and especially before winter sets in. It's been like winter here today with howling winds, rain squalls and patches of sunshine. I think it got to 11deg and it's supposed to be "spring".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March 2013 was the second coldest March in England since 1910, perhaps you'll be getting similar?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}