Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Random

Truly random patchwork is hard, in fact, it's almost impossible.  If you're piecing a scrappy quilt and (theoretically) grabbing whichever two bits of fabric come to hand next there is very soon a time when you go "nah, I don't like those two together" or "didn't I just sew this combination?" or some other reason to make decisions about which colour/pattern goes with another.  And then it's not random any more.

But I might just have nearly cracked it ...



Years ago I treated myself to more than a couple fabric rolls from Kim at 'Worn and Washed Fabrics'.  Irresistible eye candy which has sat on my shelf for years, far too nice to use.  Which is utterly stupid so this week I unrolled a bundle of 3" wide fabric.  After ditching the puke green pieces, and adding a pile of floral scraps I had this:



And exactly one hour later I had a strip which was 80 feet long.  With as much randomness as possible. but sticking to plain-patterned-plain-patterned I sewed short ends together trying hard not to look at the colours/patterns until I had used up every strip.



There followed much spray starch and ironing and then the fun began which, typically, I didn't take any pictures of.  Idiot.  Take opposite ends of the long strip, line up the short sides, and stitch the long side - a 40 foot long seam.  When you get to the bottom, just cut the 'loop' and open it out, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.





In what can't have been much more than three hours I had a random pieced patchwork that had ended up approximately 60" x 40" and was ready for a damn good iron after I'd auditioned some floral borders.

It's not perfect and one or two of the plain fabrics aren't cotton so have distorted, wobbled and generally misbehaved.  Should have used more spray starch!  Teamed with a soft blue fleece it's going to make a really traditional cosy throw which, I suspect, Daisy and I will fight over ...






10 comments:

  1. Well done in such a short time. How will you quilt it? take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it doesn't warrant anything more than a fairly open panto.

      Delete
  2. What a great quilt when you need one in a hurry or for a donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it didn't disappoint in real life either :}

      Delete
  3. Very pretty. I love quick and easy quilts like this. I made a similar one but the quilting wasn't very successful. I sewed lengthwise which puckered too much. One day I'll unpick it and quilt diagonally, usually works better! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to re-do yours, I've had quilts in the past which I've messed up with the wrong quilting.

      Delete
  4. A great idea. Sounds really easy to do and makes a lovely throw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, it was incredibly easy and I'll be doing another before long. Perhaps next time I can be more organised and take enough photos to make a tutorial-type post :}

      Delete
  5. Love to see the quilting as well as the gardening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, we'll get you sewing eventually :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}