Friday, 11 October 2013

Knott a day to be out without windproofs

Hattie was having a free inside and out valet today (and very smart she looks for an old girl) so it was early afternoon before Daisy and I set off for Buttermere.  The idea was to park at Newlands Hause and do the 'out and back' walk to Knott Rigg and Ard Crags, which would have been a great idea on a day when there wasn't a gale blowing from the north!  A daft excursion on a windy day but what the heck :}





Daisy coped superbly with being blown about and bounced along, chased her tail and generally had a marvellous time.  Hobbit didn't do so well - there were times when I could hardly put one foot in front of the other.  The wind was probably blowing around 30mph all the time with gusts of 40/45mph.  Lack of progress because I was being blown backwards wasn't so much of an issue, the biggest problem was that my eyes were watering so much I couldn't see where we were going.  Discretion is always the better part of route finding and this lovely ridge will be here another day; I turned around a few yards from the first summit.  Very hard to hold the camera steady to take any pictures.



 Looking back to Knott Rigg from the waterfall:



After a brief visit to Moss Force waterfall we drove down the valley to do a bit of shopping in Keswick.  Had a good nosey at the new house at Rigg Beck.  It looks superb, like something out of Grand Designs and whilst I don't generally like modern buildings I could make an exception for this one.



The eagle-eyed will notice Daisy is now modelling black as this season's colour.  The red Hurtta coat was superb, but early in the spring I noticed a section that was wearing really badly.  I could have fixed it but these coats are expensive and I didn't think I should have to.  Had a conversation with Karen at Podgy Paws who immediately took the coat, sent some photos to Hurtta in Finland and a week later I was given a replacement - can't fault service like that :}




7 comments:

  1. I don't mind paying extra for service like that.
    Great views, and Daisy is sounding much perkier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Daisy seems to go from strength to strength - literally, she's all muscle now :}

      Delete
  2. Must have been some walk, but glad you both survived it. Good about Daisy's coat and yes service like that is hard to come by these days. I looked at that house and it is utterly amazing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, in truth, it was a rather nice walk - just rather more windy than I hoped. Hope things continue to go well with your house move.

      Delete
  3. I'm very envious of the stunning views you are surrounded by every day - but not so of the wind! Another beautiful walk, and I'm glad Daisy enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind isn't so bad Jenny, when it is really blowing a hooley you just stay low! I'll take wind over ice any day.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with wind over ice, every time!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}