Monday, 16 September 2013

Sunday sewing, Monday unsewing

For once the forecasters got it right and the weather on Sunday was dreadful.  High wind and rain all night with not much let up during the day.  Perfect for a full day in the sewing room!

Eons ago (about 2005!) I started a Christmas sampler-type quilt.  I dug the box of bits out and realised I've changed my mind since June and no longer want to make the huge quilt I originally planned.  Four large (15") pieced blocks jostled for position at the front of the queue to be turned into something else.

 


    



A few hours later they'd become a nice little sampler quilt without much more effort on my part.  I should have stopped there.  I didn't.  Also in the box of bits were some Flying Geese sections that I really liked.  So like a fool I added them as an asymmetrical border. 



The lack of a decent sized design wall at Bag End has been a mild irritation in the past, now it's a significant frustration.  I have a small area available in the sewing room but it's not big enough for anything more than about 48" square.  If I had pinned this all up and had a good look at it before I put the borders on then I wouldn't have spent Monday afternoon taking the damn things off.



Fortunately it rained all Monday afternoon so being indoors wasn't too much of a hardship and I've worked out where to store a couple of Celotex boards.  Bag End will soon have a proper design wall and I might not do stupid things like this again.



10 comments:

  1. Woohoo for sewing, yaboo for the unsewing. Oh, and I'm not laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It was better to spend the time taking off those borders than leave the quilt top messed up and probably never finish it ...

      Delete
  2. I only have a very small design wall, but I try and work with that as much as I can, then it's the floor, which I'm sure gets harder as we age. The quilt looks lovely and I've played with borders over the years on and off, but yours is looking lovely. Glad to see you putting some variety back in your life with gardening, walks, sewing and cooking. Good on you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I think a lot of people don't realise what a difference a design wall makes until they use one. Rather than the floor, have you tried drawing curtains and using them? (just pin your work to the curtain fabric!)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Err - not sure I understand the question.

      I guess "use them" is the only answer I can give you.

      Delete
    2. I had a giggle then, and yes I use mine, but also give a lot away.

      Delete
    3. I just wondered how you coped with so many quilts - just cupboard space would be a challenge for me. From what you have said in your posts many are quite large. Sorry forgive a non-quilters ignorance!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'd be so lost without my design wall! Some people think its not a big deal, but once you use one -- then you know how important they are. Mine covers most of a wall in my studio. A lot of the ladies on the quilting forum use rollup shades to which they attach flannel or such. Its then mounted over a closet or wall or whatever and can be rolled up when not in use.

    That unsewing must be in the air! I've been working a quilt for DH and I think I've unsewn more on it this week than anything else. Guess I was just out of practice and my focus wandered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FFG, sorry about the delay in replying to you. I haven't ordered the foam board yet, but I will.

      there's been more unsewing here .... you are 100% spot on, I too am out of practice and I wasn't concentrating.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}