Sunday, 1 September 2013

Loweswater Show

Thankfully the rain held off, although heavy cloud all day made things less than perfect for photography.  A friend had taken her pony to compete in the carriage classes and I went along to provide an extra pair of hands when necessary but primarily to take photos. Management had things to do at home, so he stayed behind with Daisy which in truth made my life a whole lot easier.  I could help with tack and the carriage whenever necessary and the big camera needs two hands, not one and a half with a dog lead round your wrist!



It's a lovely little show, but felt smaller than previously.  In recent years there have been last-minute cancellations due to dreadful weather and waterlogged fields, and poor attendance at other times, once again due to bad weather.  Maybe that's why it seemed there were far fewer traders prepared to commit to taking a stand, and unless I was walking around with my eyes close, no cattle either.



I still managed to buy a lovely new scarf and a locally grafted and grown apple tree from Michelle and Peter at Low Stanger Farm.  They have taken grafting material from an old tree outside of town and are calling it 'Cockermouth Codlin'.  

Our neighbour was conducting the Cockermouth Mechanics Band, which provided a lovely soundtrack in such a gorgeous setting.   Saw plenty of friends, talked a great deal, and resolved that I must make the effort to enter some of the classes in the Industrial tent next year.  Last time I did so I walked off with a couple of Firsts ....









Goodness, it's seven years since I entered this:


10 comments:

  1. Love the shire horses and yes you must start entering the show again, as if we don't do that and getting younger people interested as well, there will be no shows in the future. I have done so for the past couple of years and it is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that my entering a cushion into the local Ag. show will do much to encourage the next generation, Susan, but I'll give it a go :}

      Delete
  2. Well you know my views on entering shows, Hobbit! I will keep to you to it next year, you know!

    Love the Shires too - the grooms must carry around a set of steps along with the curry comb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heavy horses are always popular Hazel, and beautifully turned out.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great day and yes, you should enter them in order to support your local area if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very gentle day out Sue, want to come next year?

      Delete
  4. I hope the horses were better behaved than the one that caused our tram accident. Bit wary of horse drawn transport now - no correction a lot wary. Martyn's comment was - that's the last time we go on anything horse drawn!

    Your day looks to have been lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you wouldn't get me on my that carriage if the alternative was walking all the way to your house. I don't mind helping clean it, or groom Angel, but my feet stay firmly on the ground.

      Delete
  5. Some good pics of the Loweswater show. Never been but did make it to the Wastwater show one year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never been? Goodness Jill, perhaps you should book a caravan trip for next year?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}