Thursday, 12 September 2013

Enjoying Ennerdale

Daisy has been having a rough time of it this summer.  Turns out Bag End (like the rest of this village and many surrounding ones) is heavily infested with grass mites and Daisy reacts badly to the bites.  We started with home-based attempts to fix the problem but when that didn't work the vet supplied a cortisone spray which helped a bit but not enough.

Daisy was not herself, off her food and generally not the normal happy-go-lucky little dog we'd become use to.  Three weeks ago I admitted defeat (so to speak) and John S. at the vets gave her a course of regular steriods.  Thankfully, prednisolone is not as brutal as previous incarnations of the drug and John had her on the lowest possible dose.

She immediately perked up, her skin and appetite improved tremendously and we thought "happy days".  Now the steroid treatment has finished she's gone back into a slump, although thankfully without the itching.  It could be nothing more serious than she's bored - I haven't been on the fells much in the last couple of weeks and maybe she's not eating very enthusiastically because she isn't particularly hungry?  Maybe it's just her body needing to adjust now the steroids have finished? One way to test that theory - go for a decent walk and if that doesn't perk up her mood and appetite, go back to the vet :{

So we set off to a new destination for Her Ladyship - Ennerdale Water.  Just a little walk, a tad over three miles.



We turned around at the point when I judged the incoming cloud wasn't going to lift and happily got back to the car just as it started raining.




I had wondered how Daisy would cope with the craggy bit around Robin Hood's Chair.  Something else the bit-of-a-waste-of-money-DNA-test didn't show up was "part Mountain Goat".  She sprung up and down the tricky bits almost as if they weren't there and stood on protruding lumps of rock with an air of having been born to it.









     out of focus due to the speed she's moving, despite being told to slow down!





And once back home, she "assumed the position" whilst it poured down outside, and I did the ironing.  It's a tough life being the Bag End hound :}






15 comments:

  1. I have to have a mental adjustment when it comes to distances in your neck of the woods. I knock off 5km in a little over half an hour - but if I tried the same in that beautiful but hard-going terrain, it would be a morning, and I'd be "assuming the position" too!

    Nice judgement call for timing on the turn back to the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are (totally insane) fell running types who can do the same sort of speed/distances up here as you do when running but it's never going to be me!

      According to my GPS-thingy, when I'm moving I travel fairly fast (between 3 - 4 mph which is a reasonable walking pace) but I tend to stop a lot ... admire the view, give Daisy a biscuit, take photos, so my average speed drops to a fairly slow 1.5 mph or thereabouts. This afternoon was only a couple of hours in total.

      PS: get yourself up the M6 and after a 'gentle morning excursion' I'll let you crash out in front of the WBS whilst I fix supper :}

      Delete
  2. She deserves the rest. I hope she soon picks up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been very quiet this evening and not eaten much :{
      Thanks for the good wishes, I hope she picks up soon too . . .

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, it's early but she seems in a pretty good mood. I'm going to take her for another moderate walk today and see how she goes. Thanks for caring :}

      Delete
  4. Are those grass mites the same as harvest mites? I seem to get covered in bites every year - I think you recommended the Avon spray which I now use and helps but if I pop to the greenhouse and haven't sprayed I get bites in all sorts of places and they are very very itchy for ages. Also when I get lots it makes me fell unwell too. Martyn suffers the same way. Hope daisy is soon back on form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grass mites, harvest mites, chiggers - they're all the same thing and unless you dowse all your land with DDT or something equally noxious and completely unacceptable, you won't get rid of them.

      I've been badly bitten this year too, far more than I can ever remember. I tried Avon So Soft on Daisy but it just wasn't enough.

      Delete
    2. You'd need an industrial sized container of the stuff - no doubt her hair would absord most of it! I wasn't as bad this year but Martyn was.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous Ennerdale pics. Poor Daisy, I hope she feels better soon. Hopefully these bugs die off in the winter. Mosquitoes are rampant in my garden at the moment, I was only outside for ten minutes yesterday and managed to get bitten. I hate having to use nasty smelling sprays even the supposedly 'natural' ones. I feel for her :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, have you tried eating loads of garlic? Bugs can smell it on your skin and it's meant to keep them away.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos and walk and I'm still envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I know you like coming on walks with Daisy and I {grin}. We're due a spell of bad weather the next few days so I'll try and get on with some 'blog catching up'.

      Delete
  7. I do eat lots of garlic and I wondered if it would make a difference but it doesn't. I am obviously just too tasty! David NEVER gets bitten lol!!! (Or he never reacts!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I've never been bitten/reacted so badly as I have this year. It's why I have so much sympathy for Daisy :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}