Thursday, 19 September 2013

A gnarly few days

I thought I was going to spend the beginning of this week getting to know the longarm machine again and making progress on the backlog of tops which are waiting to be quilted.  The Universe had other ideas and the first half of the week turned into a cold, gnarly, irritating GRRRR.   Lots of small things which in the long run are of little consequence.  Nothing I intend to write about because to give words to something is to give it shape and substance.  None of the vexations which have visited Bag End deserve the permanence and reality afforded by description.

I have learnt in the past that when times like this descend the only thing to do is go with the flow, and don't do anything tricksy which requires accuracy, precision or a dollop of good luck.  If I were to continue with the plan of longarm quilting I knew I would be assured of days with bad tension, thread breaks and all sorts of problems I could do without.  Instead, the best thing is to do little things and ignore the fact that it's constantly raining and so dark that I need the kitchen lights on most of the day.

So Daisy and I caught up on some TV which had been recorded but not watched, the ironing basket found itself empty, the cooker is a lot cleaner than it used to be and even the bathrooms and sinks got a good seeing to!  In the middle of all that I was interviewed by a national newspaper, first time that's ever happened, and I didn't enjoy it at all.



Monday's quilt top acquired a quiet little border to finish it off, the pile of "Christmas patchwork bits" is still huge and I have a whole flock of flying geese looking for a purpose in life ... 







Also spent some time as a hospital taxi for a friend who's quite poorly which serves to remind me that my gnarly irritations are nothing more than that, and both Management and I are very fortunate to have such good health :}

10 comments:

  1. "the cooker is a lot cleaner than it used to be" Aha! You too?

    ..... In the middle of all that I was interviewed by a national newspaper......, Oooh - that's not your every day occurrence! Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Hazel, now I've visited your blog I understand the cooker comment :}

      Delete
  2. Yeah, "stuff" happens sometimes and all you can do is let it pass right on by. Hope things are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FFG, I like to think that 'stuff happens' weeks are there to remind me just how fortunate we are. Dwelling on them does no good.

      Delete
  3. You can NOT just casually drop a comment about your media moment into a conversation like that and not tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and my longarm is out of action till we finally move. We've got to go by the 6/11 and I'm in an absolute terrified state. I'll keep you posted by email if I have the energy. I've decided dull weather never helps our moods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being terrified never changed anything for the better. I'll email you :}

      Delete
  5. Hope the newspaper quoted you accurately - in my experience they don't often do that!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}