Thursday, 15 August 2013

Kona Bay

It's raining today and I absolutely am not in the mood to go outside.  Daisy had a good walk yesterday and she's not begging for the great outdoors either.

The title might confuse my gardening friends - don't try looking the location up on a map, it is not a place but a range of absolutely gorgeous quilting fabric.   My dear friend J. in St Louis has a larger collection of Kona Bay fabrics than most quilt stores.  When J. decides to "get piecing" then look out - she takes no prisoners, no breaks for lunch and doesn't quite know when to stop.  Which is why she ended up with far too many segments for her latest quilt.  Being a kind and generous soul (and knowing how much I covet her fabric stash), she sent this strip to me with the note "hey, you like table runners, do something with this!"



Trouble is, "this" was 92" long and rather larger than any table I'm likely to fit into the house.  So I unpicked two seams making the runner into three sections, pieced them back together again (she'd sent some strips of the black, bless her) and added a border.  The pansy fabric doesn't look too good in the photo but it works pretty well in 'real life'.



Another top joins the longarm queue ... (and this isn't everything, there are more, all over the place, whoops ...)




15 comments:

  1. What a kind quilter J is, Bilbo! You've made a lovely top with what she's sent you!

    Looks like it's time you cranked up the longarm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel. I hope J. will be pleased when she sees this (she doesn't do much computer stuff and is unlikely to read the blog).

      Yes, I've dusted off the sewing machine and it will soon be time to do the same to the longarm.

      Delete
  2. Hey's she's sewing again!!! That's a lovely friend you have there, Bilbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FFG, yeay, Bilbo's sewing again :} It was a good day and you're right, J is a very special person.

      Delete
  3. Well I happen to know the LA is already dusted off and almost ready to go. So, what are you waiting for, that's going to be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha, acting on insider information :} What I am waiting for Sue, is a few days to myself when the weather is rubbish and I can't garden or take Daisy on long walks ....

      Delete
  4. Looks fabulous, really pretty. I love to see your quilting projects nearly as much as your gardening ones. Sorry not commented much lately. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. Don't worry about not commenting, I've been similarly 'bluurrghh' myself recently :}

      Delete
  5. A foreign language - longarm?

    The resulting 'artwork' makes me think of a fabric version of a Mondrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, longarm = large frame for mounting quilts on coupled with huge industrial-type sewing machine to stitch it all together. If you search Bag End for 'longarm' you'll find some piccies which might help make sense of it.

      Delete
    2. Crikey I didn't realise that you needed such professional looking equipment. I envisaged you sitting at a sewing machine.

      Delete
    3. Sue, the piecing happens at a normal machine and there are many, many people who do their quilting on a regular machine too.

      Delete
  6. My, you sound like me with a queue for the machine. Lovely quilt, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'd love to be like QuiltSue who quilts her tops almost as soon as they are pieced but I tend to go through 'piecing phases' and then 'quilting phases'. Ever since I have had the longarm I've had a backlog ... perhaps one day I will get caught up and then KEEP caught up. Hmm, perhaps that should be the aim for 2014? Fancy joining me?

      Delete
    2. Yes Bilbo, I'll join you for that challenge.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}