Friday, 30 August 2013

Bag End Cam, 3

Things have deliberately been very quiet on the wildlife camera front.  All those candid snaps it takes have to be reviewed . . . and that takes time.

Between 1st July and 10th August I put one of the cameras* outside the big shed. On at least two occasions LP had seen either a stoat or weasel disappear into the huge log pile and it would have been good to catch a photo.  So, I placed a camera and then promptly forgot about it/couldn't be bothered to check it.  Which is how I ended up with over 3,500 images to sort through.  Like I said, all takes time.





Sadly, no weasel but I have deleted hundreds of pictures of Daisy and I wandering back and forth. Also dumped numerous shots of pheasant, pigeons and blackbirds.  Confirmed my suspicions that we get regular visits from a neighbours cat who seems undeterred either by Daisy or one of those 'high pitched sonic' things.







Occasionally a red squirrel was 'caught' heading back to the hazelnut feeder and I obtained irrefutable (and deleted) proof that wandering around the garden first thing in my dressing gown is not something which should be witnessed by anyone!











Good to get a couple of hedgehog pictures although I already knew we had at least one large animal visit the garden having seen him/her late at night when I was out with Daisy.






Saving the best until last?   Lovely to have Lepus europaeus back in the garden















* oh, did I not confess that we bought a second one whilst they were on sale?  Well, it's a big garden :}

10 comments:

  1. I had the same problem - I was only saved from an impossible sifting task by the batteries running out. They need replacing so I can set one up in the cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I hit publish too soon as well - meant to say - how great to have a hare in the garden.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue. I assume you're putting a camera in the cold frame to see what's eating your plants?

      Delete
    3. No to see what is eating the snails :) The snails are the ones eating the plants!

      Delete
  2. Wow - lovely pics, 'specially the hare. Big, ain't they? Thought you had a muntjac at first glance of the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hazel, I'd much rather have the hare than a deer, even a tiddly small one. Destructive little buggers anywhere other than the Highlands :}

      Delete
  3. I was wondering how you were getting on with this, seriously thinking of getting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely pleased with the cameras and wish we'd bought them sooner. The hardest thing is working out where to put them but they can be moved around very easily. About to get a couple of sets of ground spikes with screw-thread camera adaptors which means I won't have to keep finding a post to strap them too and can just stuck them in the ground.

      Delete
  4. Great wildlife shots, though I confess to loving the hare most, but, also the hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. The hare was a very pleasant surprise for us too.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}