Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Sale Fell, and stupidity

One of my favourite definitions of stupidity is accredited to Albert Einstein:

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

We'll return to that theme later.

Only 3mm of rain yesterday which is not nearly enough, but it's a start.  Cooler this morning so Daisy and I made record time getting out of the house and were at Sale Fell just after 10.00.  A pleasant stroll although it soon got a lot warmer than I'd hoped so we cut short the walk missing out Lothwaite.  My photos from this little excursion are, frankly, a disappointment.  They've been resized but I've done no Photoshop work.

Take this first one - the gatepost on the left is in focus, the rest of the image is not.



In this, Daisy is out of focus but the bracken to her right is sharply defined. 



As for this and the next one, heavens knows what was happening to the colour balance but the ground definitely did not have this autumnal tint!





I deleted seven other shots to end up with this one - Daisy is completely still, about 3m away, but around her face & chest area the image is soft.  The camera is set to take pictures at its highest possible quality.  I've just compared this to a similar shot of Daisy taken last month with the Lumix TZ35, there's no comparison ... the Lumix image is clear, sharp and stands up to magnification which this certainly does not.



There is absolutely no point me carrying a camera which I cannot trust to get the shot.  The demise of three previous Panasonic cameras is documented here.

So here comes the Einstein moment - I've sent it back to Amazon and ordered ANOTHER Panasonic Lumix in its place.  Before I did so I had a long chat with Panasonic's authorised service agent in the UK . . . fingers crossed I won't need to call them again :}


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. By the way - Which Lumix did you settle on?

      Delete
    2. Hi Sue, well Canon ~can~ in lots of areas but not in this one :{

      I've gone for another Lumix DMC-TZ35 which is the same as the last one which went back ... fingers crossed and happy dance for some decent (long-lasting) electronics. As I said before, in 40 years of photography I have never experienced anything like this.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, hope you have better luck this time, though I still think you take better photos than I ever will. I must learn a lot more about more about my new camera. I'm off to a quilt show with my daughter tomorrow and will take my smaller old one as I don't feel like lugging a larger one around all day along with water and lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I suspect you are being too hard on yourself. When Jill was here she noticed that I take loads of photos; I'll change the angle slightly, alter the composition, amend the camera settings. When I get back to the computer 95% of the shots might be deleted. So maybe I don't take better photos than you - I just take more :}

      Delete
  3. Despite your disappointment I love the one of Daisy wandering away on the Autumnal hillside :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should hold that one back until September, LOL!

      Delete
  4. PS I can empathise with the Einstein moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did Albert ever get to use a computer?

    Love that shot of Daisy, especially those ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning G41, Einstein with an iPad, now there's a thought :}

      Delete
  6. Thanks for commenting on my own blog and good to discover yours. You clearly have a lot to teach me about photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Roger, thanks for visiting and your comment.

      My entire teaching syllabus can be distilled into: take lots of pictures and try to work out why the ones which don't work didn't work! Then change what doesn't work*. The alternative is back to Einstein ... doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results :}


      (* 3 'works' in one sentence ... no-one would believe I got an 'A' for English Language ...)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}