Friday, 19 July 2013

Hotter than Hawaii

The heatwave continues with predictable results; for a country with an endlessly changeable maritime climate we are remarkably unprepared for anything other than the middle ground.  A little snow and the country freezes to a halt, a heatwave and roads melt.

In the boot room this afternoon it was 35 degrees which is hotter than Hawaii ! 







At least it's a relatively 'cool' 28 degrees in the kitchen which is on the shady side of the house.

No complaints from Hobbit.  Sure it's a tad too warm to be doing anything other than essential chores and sitting around but I'll take this over the November 2009 floods any day.  After the floods, then two of the wettest summers anyone can remember followed by the coldest Spring on record I'm just going to stay in the shade and enjoy it.

Daisy is coping with the heat by being a sensible dog and staying indoors - apart from the odd occasions when I see she's wandered outside!





She is, however, more than a little bored because it's too hot to go for a proper walk during the day and I confess by 9.00pm (which is the only time when it's cool enough to safely let her run around) I am tired and thinking about going to bed.  We're taking advantage of Fraser living nearby and having mad sprinting sessions at 9.30pm just before bedtime.



I have read three books in the last six days and ordered another from Amazon especially for the weekend.  Fingers crossed it arrives in the morning (and no, I have not yet joined the world of Kindle users and am still very happy with dead trees).








8 comments:

  1. Our air con in the car decided to pack in at the beginning of the hot spell but thankfully is now fixed!

    I've been reading novels too. Martyn prefers to read on the Ipad but I prefer paper versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm glad I am not the only one preferring "real" books to another electronic device :}

      I used the air con in the car yesterday for only about the 3rd time since I've had it.

      Delete
  2. I agree that is certainly hot for over there. Even I don't enjoy much over about 28 and I live here in Oz and like Sue above, my air con went many years ago in my small car, but it's never been fixed and I don't go too far in summer in it. We do have a larger 4WD we use most of the time.
    A book is so more enjoyable, but then I just don't like anything with a touch screen.
    Try and keep cool and recharge those batteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I often wonder how early settlers in Oz and America coped in the heat - no fridges, no air con, they must have been a hardy lot.

      Welcome to the Luddite brigade, at least our books won't run out of battery!

      Delete
  3. Work has ground to a halt here.. I did half an hour last night at 6.00 p.m. and still melted. Daisy has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rusty, I think you've had it hotter the last week than us but allegedly it is going to be warmer in the north-west over the next few days. Nice breeze this morning though ...

      Delete
  4. Cloudy and cool here today for the first time in days. As you can see I didn't go to London in the end. The temperatures last week got to me! I prefer books too and having recently rejoined the local library am enjoying a good browse in there every three weeks. Do you like Barbara Kingsolver's books? I love them and Mary Lawson's. Have you read The Thorn Birds, one of my all time favourites. Reading The Children's Book by A S Byatt at the moment. Stay cool, supposed to be even hotter next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudy this morning and much, much cooler. Sorry you didn't get to London but glad you are enjoying your reading.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}