Monday, 22 July 2013

An early start, and a finish

Up at 5.00am today.  Horrible when the alarm went but not so bad after a coffee and a long shower.  It was LP's last day and he wanted to start early to avoid some of the heat. He also had some wildly unrealistic expectations about how much he could achieve during a heatwave in the time available, but that's his problem ...

He arrived promptly at 6.00am and left at 3.00pm.  There was much standing around chatting and drinking iced water but we still got a great deal accomplished.  Actually, HE got a great deal accomplished, I either stood around on the receiving end of a load of blether or drove the Little Red Tractor back and forwards with numerous loads of soil, rotted pony poo or bark chips.  Oh, and I made bacon sarnies, but I didn't lift anything heavier than a bottle of water :}  So, a quick round up of what got finished:

The final bed in the Coppice.



Bed behind the trellis, Top Pond.



Hedge bed at the back of what will, one day, be a vegetable patch.



Bed at the front of the Potager.



Once all this had had a good soaking (we're due for thunderstorms tomorrow) I can get planting!

We made quite a dent in the rotted pony poo bin but not too much impression on the bark chip.  There is loads of poop waiting to be collected from the pony field but it's just been too darn hot ...



Daisy just sat around - I think the novelty of Mediterranean temperatures has well and truly worn off and she'd like to get back to normal Cumbrian weather and some decent walks.  We've also still got skin problems which cannot entirely be attributed to buttercups.  The culprit is now suspected to be grass mites and the only treatment the vet can offer is a steroid spray which (allegedly) is not absorbed into the body.  With vet support we've also added Evening Primrose Oil and Garlic to her diet.  The EPO might help with the allergy and Garlic is an all-round good thing :}



LP was unhappy not to move the ENTIRE soil heap before he went.



I reminded him that the original reason for getting the soil in before he went away was so that ~ I ~ could toodle around in his absence and do a few things slowly.  "Ah" he replied "but that was before you b*ggered up your shoulder", and he's quite right :}   I might get some of it moved during the summer, I might not.  One thing is for sure - I'm not going to worry one way or the other.  Whilst it is wonderful and a privilege to have such willing help whilst we create the garden I confess to really looking forward to him being away until October.  Sometimes we work in the garden on days when I'd really prefer to do something else, or nothing at all, but if we've promised him a day or two's work then I can hardly turn round and say "don't feel like it".  And before Management says "but you don't have to work alongside him", no I don't.  But I do need to be around to supervise, guide and generally make sure he's doing what I want :}





9 comments:

  1. The garden has certainly come along in leaps and bounds since I began following your blog and I love it. Enjoy your toodling for a while and in the heat, just try and relax a little like Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Enjoying the results of all our hard work is definitely the number one task for the next few months!

      Delete
  2. I must say that everything is coming along superbly, even if you are on light duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, hope you'll get a chance to see it for yourself sometime.

      Delete
  3. We've managed a thunderstorm this morning but more rain still required. As for getting jobs done - well it's been hot work picking fruit this last couple of weeks.

    I must say the heaps of bark chips, pony poo and topsoil look extremely well maintained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martyn .. or Sue? Keeping the heaps tidy is a necessity if the place isn't to look like Steptoe's yard :}

      Delete
  4. Do you know I could have been certain I posted a comment but it isn't here! The planting part is the exciting bit so I guess another visit to that nursery of yours is in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that your comment above? I already have some of the plants for these areas but yes, doubtless a nursery trip is somewhere in the not-too-distant future.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}