Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Still on holiday

Nearly a month since I declared "I'm on holiday for the rest of the year" and I am loving it!

The gorgeous weather last week didn't hurt and there was much sitting by the ponds, just reading and watching numerous damselflies looking for a suitable plant to lay eggs on.



There has been a little gardening, a fair bit of fell walking, much playing with Daisy and a huge amount of catching up on sleep.  There is still a long way to go; I have got six years of over-doing it to neutralise.

There has been a little 'blog post writing' in the background so there's a chunk of stuff in my Drafts folder which needs to come out into the big wide world.  The photos always seem to be the stumbling block for me - it's too easy to take so many pictures and they take time to sift through and process even though I probably only keep 5% - 10% of the images I shoot.



A little hiccup yesterday afternoon:  LP came over for a cuppa and a chat and long-story-short he's going to be doing some stuff over the next few weeks which I think is a bit mad but something he has wanted to do for ages; unless he gets it out of his system he'll be living with "what if" for years.   The implication for us is that he is unlikely to be available to help in the garden for more than a couple of days between now and the end of September.  I was initially very disappointed but this morning I realised it's absolutely the right thing.  It is The Universe ensuring very firmly that I don't slip back onto the hamster-wheel.

However, hamster-wheel not withstanding, my first-ever order from Crocus has just been delivered.  Exceptional packaging and decent looking plants - I have some clematis to get in the ground - whoosh!




18 comments:

  1. Glad you are (deliberately) slowing down and taking time to "smell the roses". The nice weather came at just the right time, it seems. Enjoy your re-coup. Lord knows you need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, roses not in bloom yet ( :} )but I am definitely in slow-time!

      Delete
  2. Is that a flask by the lounger? It's good to take time to enjoy what you have and no LP will turn out to be a good thing - in the short term.

    I too take lots of photos that need sifting through, tagging and tweaking e.g. cropping and it's a full time job.

    Lpve the squirrel bistro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Sue. A big flask of very cold squash and the chair has a thick, comfortable cushion:}

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear from you. It is indeed a good thing to give yourself a rest. You moved to Cumbria to ENJOY it, not work, work, work all the time. And, good for LP to move forward with his dream, too. Hope you're reading lots of good books. And, maybe sewing a bit? Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right FFG, definitely time to enjoy being here. No proper sewing yet, but it won't be long!

      Delete
  4. How odd I typed in "the" into the address bar meaning to go another site and your popped up and I thought ok doubt there is anything new but pop over and have a look and there was and today!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Well enjoy your well earned break from all the "bag ending" work you have been doing and I somehow suspect your idea of a rest is probably still hard work in most normal folks eyes

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janette, lovely to hear from you again. If you sign up to Feedly or Bloglovin' you won't miss any Bag End updates, or those of any other blogs you enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bilbo, glad to have a little post from you again. Love the squirrel, but no Daisy lurking in the background. I too have photos to sift through from years ago and as we are about to downsize I am feeling a tad overwhelmed by the thought of it. The garden certainly looks lovely in the first photo and are they clematis plants? Just keep taking it one easy day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better Susan, I have four large tubs of photo packets which I planned to sort before we moved. Ran out of time so packed them all up and they are ~still~ waiting for me to sort, scan those I'm keeping and chuck the rest ...

      Delete
  6. Nice to hear from you and see the garden in the sunshine and wonderful to hear you are taking much needed time to enjoy your ponds.

    Crocus are wonderful aren't they. I have always been very impressed with their service, quality of plants and exceptional packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, whilst the packaging from Crocus was excellent the plants were only 'acceptable'. Much of the leaf you can see in the blog photo had to be cut away because of crushed/bent stems which would have died back if left. The only thing which stopped me sending the whole, expensive, damn lot back was a decent rootball on four out of the five plants.

      I am not in a hurry to order from them again. I only did it because I particularly wanted these plants and my usual sources were out of stock.

      Delete
  7. taking a well earned break my lovely - enjoy. Sounds like you may have inspired LP just a little bit there too. See, saying 'No' does have it's advantages and people will love you all the same :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling Nic. Saying no to other people isn't the problem, saying 'no' to myself is where I seem to fail :}

      Delete
  8. Glad to see that you're taking things easy for a change. It can be hard to slow down when you're so used to being on the go all the time, but it's important not to overdo things. I bet Daisy's getting your undivided attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, in truth slowing down at present isn't so difficult because I am too bone tired to do much else! Daisy always gets much attention {smile} and sends woofs and play-bows to Archie.

      Delete
  9. Oh that's a shame, all of mine have been in good condition when they arrived.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}