Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Skip diving?

For this morning's walk Daisy and I parked next to a skip.  When we returned to the car I couldn't help noticing a lovely double-flowered Aquilegia, good rootball, just dumped . . . and another of uncertain colour, possibly pink & lemon.

I wouldn't have bought the double in a nursery; I don't normally go for over-bred plants which aren't as useful for bees as the natural forms but this one is so pretty.  I'm wondering if it something like Aquilegia vulgaris 'Nora Barlow'.



Whilst it is against the law to remove items from a skip without the owner's permission I decided on this occasion I would risk it.  I've potted them up, cut back the foliage and stuck 'em in a corner of the nursery.  They will either live or die but in the skip they would definitely not have survived :}





4 comments:

  1. Hi!! Love aquilegias and that one is very pretty in colour and form. Some of the Nora Barlow variety comes in the most unusual colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I am only used to bog-standard aquilegias which self-seed everywhere. I only recognised this one because of the leaf shape, hope it lives - terribly pretty :}

      Delete
  2. Isn't this your second foray into plant rescue? You should form an organisation - my sister would be one of the first to join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well remembered little one! Yes, I "rescued" a load of bulbs off the back of a lorry a few weeks back. Must check on them sometime ...

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}