Saturday, 29 June 2013

Extreme HRT

With the wet and windy winters we seem to have here (when we're not having Arctic temperatures two years running) plants need a chance to get their roots into the ground and start to establish before what passes for summer runs away.  New planting needs to be in the ground as early in the season as possible to give it half a chance.  Bag End still needs a lot of planting so I made a conscious decision to spend the rest of the year's budget in one go.



This was only possible because a small, local nursery is giving me wholesale prices on the plants.  Not only that, but they allowed me to spend a large part of Saturday wandering around when they do not normally open to the public at weekends.  I had the most blissful of days working to a small mental list but adding to it with whatever else caught my fancy :}

The special treatment continued when I admired some pots of Northern Marsh Orchid growing in a secluded corner.  No surprises that they weren't for sale but when all the plants where taken down to my car for me I found this beautiful pot of Common Spotted had been added as a present!



Two car trips later (and I have a pretty big car) and I'm going to spend the rest of the week imitating a duck* in the flowerbeds as I put all these lovelies in the soil.  For anyone familiar with the work of the late Gill Edwards, it was definitely a day spent in Soft Time :}


Every potential purchase gets checked in my 'will it grow here?' bible: (which should be an Amazon link if Google/Blogger is working properly ...)



Inclusion in Garden Plants for Scotland doesn't guarantee success in The Shire, I've had a few failures and expect to have more, but it's a good place to start. And talking of starting ... I have a lot of pots to distribute around the garden before I can even think about getting the spade out!




* head down, bum up!



12 comments:

  1. Now that looks like serious planting for the future. Look forward to seeing what is looks like when they have matured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susan! Trouble is, once these pots are distributed around the garden they will just 'disappear' :}

      Delete
  2. You have some lovely looking plants there, and the orchid is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, now, will they all be in the ground before you get here :} ?

      Delete
  3. You must be a celebrity to be given such treatment - lovely orchid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I think they just wanted me to stop nagging about not being able to buy the Northern Marsh Orchids!

      Delete
  4. You put me to shame even on your 'doing nothing' days Bilbo!! I'm STILL working on the bottom pond, haven't touched the front island, am barely keeping the weeds under control on the front terrace and we can barely get down the left hand side of the drive because of the overgrown laurels etc that I've not had chance to take back yet!
    I daren't go anywhere near a nursery!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tish, little one, don't be silly. I'm sure you are doing far more than you give yourself credit for.

      You asked when I was coming visiting? Well, as usual it will be "when the greenhouse no longer needs daily watering" so come Autumn I'll get you to scout out a Daisy-friendly local B&B if you'd be so kind :}

      Delete
  5. Your duck analogy has had me chuckling for the last day or two.. call me Daffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Daffy, with the rain we had yesterday I might even end up a little rusty ...

      Delete
  6. Wonder if you managed your two days of planting after I left you. Know exactly what you mean about new plants just disappearing in a big garden but my version is slightly different as the rabbits had been feasting while we were away!

    PS My new peony White Wings is superb with a delicious soft scent and even better, the rabbits don't seem to like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jill, 95% now in the ground :}

      Glad you are pleased with your new paeony.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}