Sunday, 23 June 2013

Bag End Cam, 1

The (very large capacity) SD cards finally arrived and we have been able to set up the wildlife camera and leave it outside.  It's purpose is to show us what is happening in the garden in places we can't see from the house, and at night.

First lesson - do not put the camera in front of the Bag End Buffet.  Far too much 'traffic' and mostly it's stuff we see anyway.  1,300 shots in 36 hours is waaaay too many and the only way to retain any semblance of sanity was to have a major deleting session.

Good to see a hedgehog during the night but I already knew we had a prickly visitor because s/he leaves easily identifiable poo!  As always at this time of year we seem to have West Cumbria's entire population of jackdaws, no wonder I'm getting through three or four times as much food as usual. 

Much tweaking of camera position needed but my initial impression is that, when in the right location, it can take great pictures and I'm really glad we finally got it.





8 comments:

  1. Wow, a pheasant in your yard. How lucky are you.
    Can you please tell me what the froth of blue in background are? These photos will really be great when you are all set up. Wish my own skills with a camera would improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your lovely comment Sue. The 'blue froth' is a hardy geranium, don't know which one. I don't think it is Johnson's Blue but I have been lazy since I was given it and not made much attempt to ID properly.

    We have numerous pheasant, sadly though, not as many as a couple of years back. When blog-lag catches up you will see 'Mum' and this year's babies. We only have one breeding pair this year, in 2011 we had about a dozen females visit regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice clear shots, Bilbo - you'll enjoy finding the best position for this, I know!

    PS any pics of giant dog hooter as she has a sniff at the lens??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hazel, only giant dog bum as she walks out of shot ...

      Delete
  4. Our male pheasants scarper as soon as they've done their 'bit'... same thing happened last year. Looking forward to seeing babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jessica, this chap is a very attentive father and he comes back with family most evenings. It's rather sweet :}

      We generally have two males here but they're not as territorial as yours.

      Delete
  5. Early days yet, I bet it throws up some unexpected visitors. I suppose it's just a case of keep checking the shots. My mum and dad used to get pheasants in their garden where they used to live, the house backed on to farm land, but the farms were sold off to make way for a mortorway and office blocks eventually got built where the fields were. Needless to say, lots of wildlife suffered and there were no more pheasants visiting. I've seen deer at the side of the motorway though, so I don't think everything disappeared totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks for leaving a comment. I hope that any 'unexpected' visitors we see are not unwelcome ones.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}