Monday, 20 May 2013

Farewell, old friend

It's the old man's birthday and time to say goodbye.
With construction and disurption at an end we can safely put his ashes to rest.
It was the right time and I must have been ready because I did it without tears, until later. 



Daisy hated to see me cry.

It was a big day for her too - she has been with us exactly six months.  How she has changed, from a skinny, insecure little thing to a strong and happy girl who is so pleased with her new life.

Losing Ollie hurt so much that I really didn't think I could ever do this again, it's good that I was wrong.









Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I and you are you, whatever we were to each other, that we still are.


Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow,
laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.


Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort, without the trace of a shadow in it.


Life means all that it ever meant, it is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?


I am waiting for you
somewhere very near
just around the corner.
All is well.


Henry Scott Holland 1847-1918
Canon of St Paul's Cathedral








(finally published on 22nd June)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}