Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Whoo hoo, half a hedge!

In between windy spells, having our decorator in the Boot Room, shopping, visitors, a flat tyre, playing with Daisy and all the other interuptions which make up normal life, over the last two days I've managed to plant at least half the laurel hedge along the big side bed.  We've used Common Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus, also known as cherry laurel) which will give us a bird-friendly evergreen screen which makes a good backdrop for whatever other shrubs and perennials I put in front.



The bit behind the deck/trellis needs more soil before I can put those plants in but hopefully LP can bring some topsoil on Saturday.  The end near the Coppice isn't planted yet but I'll use some of the Portugese laurel (Prunus lusitanica) for that.  Tomorrow is looking like it's going to be busy but maybe I'll get those plants in at the weekend?


Sunshine and a little bit of warmth has brought out the Drumstick Primula (Primula denticulata) which James gave us last year, they're currently the only colour in the bog bed behind our Top Pond and looking great :}





In our Big Pond the frogspawn which a neighbour brought last week hasn't sunk as I'd expected but it looks like the little embryos have grown so perhaps, despite the cold, it's still viable. No such doubts about the viability of the blanketweed!



In the Coppice the pulmonaria is coming on well, and Sue's primroses provide a very welcome splash of fresh colour.






9 comments:

  1. Our pulmonaria needs to get going as only the white one has any flowers. Our fish are now showing a bit of interest by watching to see if we are going to feed them so the frogspawn is now at risk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Sue, you've just summarised why we DON'T have fish in our ponds :}

      Delete
  2. Hello! Apologies for being AWOL for so long. Just having a quick catch up and I see you are way ahead of us as usual in the garden. Not a flower in sight here other than snowdrops and hellibores. It must be the gulf stream! Keep up the good work in the garden, you never know, one day Breeze might make it over there to destroy it all for you. She's just back from a swim in Derwent water, so your ponds are definitely not safe ;-) Hope you are all enjoying this lovely sunshine over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wotcha CB, apologies never necessary, you're always welcome to pop in although you might not want Breeze anywhere near our ponds at present - she'll come out looking like the Creature from the Green Lagoon and covered in blanket-weed :}

      Delete
  3. Glad to see some of your spring flowers are appearing, as it must be warming up a little. You put me to shame at the moment with the amount of work you put into the garden. I just can't get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Susan, yes - thankfully it has been a little warmer the last couple of days. I only do so much because I'm desperate to get the garden to a point where I can sit down and enjoy it! It was warm enough yesterday for both coffee and lunch by the top pond, needed a light jacket on but it was lovely to be outside.

      Delete
  4. Now I had some very lovely Primula dentata like yours and they have all disappeared, like so much up here. It must be good for the soul to learn to live with what will live with you but it is rather hard work! Love your purples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, thanks for visiting, lovely to hear from you again. I lost all my dianthus to wet a couple of years ago, has the same fate befallen your primula perhaps?

      Delete
  5. Wow, those P. denticulata are looking fab. My chap has cowslips available again...

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}