Wednesday, 3 April 2013

The start of the gardening year

The Monty Dons of this world say that the horticultural calendar commences in the Autumn when you're dividing plants for the following season but that's counter-intuitive to me.  For most people Easter is the start of the gardening year and I'm no different.  That being the case I can only hope the rest of the year goes as well as the first few days.

A trip to Cockermouth on Tuesday unexpectedly produced 15 lovely little ivy plants and I set too as soon as we got home and planted them into the new pond edging.  Quite the transformation - why couldn't I have done this months ago?





Not content with completely finishing one job (unusual though that is) I got the tractor out and Management helped me move a few more tubs of chippings.  Another section of the back path is now ready to walk on and Daisy and I are having quite a childish game going back and forth along it :}





On Wednesday our window cleaners arrived and bless them, had time to do the outside of the greenhouse.  That gave me the incentive to finally clean the inside of the glass. Amazing what you can accomplish with a bottle of window spray and a huge roll of kitchen paper, much easier than sloshing buckets of soapy water around the place. The big white boxes are polystyrene 'fish boxes' from the garden centre who also sell swimming things.  Hopefully they will work as mini-propagators for germinating seeds.  I wonder if this is the year I can keep the greenhouse tidy and not let it become a dumping ground by July?





Much, much time wasted invested in learning how to use new technology.  Whilst I still see no reason why I would want a Smartphone I've finally seen a reason to acquire a cute little tablet device so I'm now immersed in the new-to-me world of Apps and swiping and horrible sticky fingerprints all over the nice glass screen.  More on that when I've got a grip of what it is I'm trying to accomplish!

  

In other news .... Daisy and I had a stroll around Whinlatter on Tuesday and there should have been some lovely photos of the view across Lorton Vale.  However, that was the point when the Panasonic Lumix TZ25 decided to fail - again.  This is the second unit which has developed sensor motor problems and will be going back as soon as I have done some research and decided what to replace it with.  Such a damn shame, great little camera with excellent features, good image quality completely let down by critical component failure.  A camera I can't trust is no good to me.





11 comments:

  1. That greenhouse glass puts mine to shame. I've tried buckets of water for inside - very messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, (or is it Martyn? :} ) it might not be conventional but I used Mr Muscle window cleaner and a large roll of cheapo kitchen paper. The paper got a second use as woodburner lighting (about 4 days worth) and it took a fraction of the time I usually spend with buckets and a sponge.

      Delete
  2. Do you think it may have been too cold to plant the ivy any earlier?
    Your fish boxes will be great. I once used these to grow silver beet before we had a veg garden and they did extremely well.
    I know what you mean about smart phones etc., as I cannot stand dirty screens and will probably never have anything where I need to touch the screen. I bought an Android for hubby for Xmas and I'll leave it to him.
    Love the path, pheasant and especially your glasshouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Susan, good point about it being too cold earlier in the year to plant anything but I was thinking more along the lines of "why didn't I do this six months ago" :}. Thanks for all the kind things you say about the garden.

      Delete
  3. As you know, I bought a tablet before Christmas, which I love, and I have a smart phone. Screen protectors are the answer - they're easy to just wipe off finger marks, and simple and cheap enough to replace often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I have a gel cover and screen protector film on order.

      Delete
  4. Looking good Bilbo :-) I have finally been motivated by some warm sunshine to get outside and start on the big after-winter-tidy-up. Well I have if I have been able to get out of the wind for a while! Much mole and rabbit damage which can reduce me to tears at this time of year but I know things will improve when the weather gets warmer and things start to grow faster than they can be eaten! Not sure what the answer to the destructive wildlife problem is because I hate the thought of killing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LL, have you thought about chilli powder? You have to reapply it after rain but I've read that sprinkling chilli over plants and bird food keeps squirrel away so it might work on rabbit?. Something about mammals being able to taste the capsaicin but birds can't. Failing that, do the sonic cat scarers work on bunnies?

      Delete
  5. That was Martyn so now me! Stay child-like no fun in growing up! As for window cleaners who clean greenhouse windows well!

    Shame about the Lumix - (tempting fate here) but ours has been great!

    WE have a tablet which goes to the allotment with us for gardening notes etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, we find fresh coffee and a Tunnocks works well to motivate window cleaners!

      Delete
  6. Funnily enough David thought about hot chilli powder ,,, worth a try maybe!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}