Saturday, 13 April 2013

Painting and pottering

A week of much painting and a little pottering about.

Fran worked in the boot room most of the week and a compromise between Hobbit and Management on paint finishes and colours resulted in an unplanned completely white room.  Totally impractical - this is our main entrance and sees much traffic in the form of muddy boots, bags, Daisy and people.  Who cares?  I absolutely LOVE the effect and if it needs touching up every few months it's only white Dulux emulsion.

      (it will never look this tidy again)

I did some far less precise painting outdoors and refurbished the large black obelisks.  They no longer fit in the potager for which they were made, the potager having become something of a fruit-a-ger, but I'm hoping they will find a semi-permanent home in the big side bed.  Semi-permanent because I want to grow annuals such as sweet peas over them and then move the frames into the dry during winter in the hopes they'll last a few more years by not having permanently wet feet.


Despite the cold wind, mid-week Management and I made a start on painting the garden walls.  On Saturday I completed painting the first section whilst himself took the Karcher to the larger bit of wall which goes around the corner.  We're chuffed to bits with the effect of the new paint, even though it needs a second coat.








8 comments:

  1. Your white room really does look wonderful and so does the garden wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, after five years of renovation and chaos there is a faint glimmer of 'nearly done' in the distance!

      Delete
  2. Incredibly smart all round - well done!

    Just a thought - does the wall now need the odd reflector along the length to make it safer for traffic at night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel. If anyone hits the wall they've already left the road and mounted the pavement, I don't think a few reflectors would make much difference :}

      Delete
  3. That wall looks fab! And yes it does take time decorating your home when it is only you and your other half. We've been here nine years and there are still things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I tend to think of decorating as the last thing after all the 'heavy' work is done, which would explain why, after five years here, we've done virtually nothing :}

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, it is certainly a lot smarter than when you saw it :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}