Monday, 29 April 2013

Oops

I went to a funeral today, a lovely old chap, one of our neighbours.  The nearest crematorium is about a mile from my favourite nursery in Distington, well, it would have been rude not too ....  I don't know the family that well and wasn't expected to go to the hotel afterwards for tea and cake so I went plant hunting instead.



There's definitely a Euphorbia theme this week, more E. autropurpurea , and E. amygdaloides robbiae which I have been looking for for a while.  My attempts at growing Euphorbia from seed last year didn't go well.  Perhaps it was me, but a lot of the RHS seed I was so excited about didn't germinate very well.

Yesterday I saw Brunnera Macrophylla 'Betty Bowring' but they weren't very good plants, today I struggled to choose just three pots from a lovely healthy selection, plus two different Dicentra* - one the regular spectabilis which I expect will have pink & white blooms and another with deep red flowers called 'Valentine'. Some Centaurea Montana (Mountain Knapweed) which has spread like crazy in a nearby garden so hopefully it will do the same here, and a couple of Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve' which hopefully will survive a few years before it succumbs to mildew.  Will I remember to propagate from cuttings to keep the plant going?


A very pleasant couple of hours in the afternoon placing the pots where I think the plants will grow best and throwing Daisy's ball endlessly :}






* Dicentra no more, they're now called Lamprocapnos spectabilis. Bla bla bla bla ...

9 comments:

  1. New plants ,,, goody!!! I've been buying too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, that's not good enough, you have to tell me what you've been buying, not just that you have done so!

      Delete
  2. PS My Brunnera is still growing in a pot (I tend to lose more plants if I actually plant them in the soil!) and looking fabulous at the moment. In close association with some blue hyacinths which have gone more natural looking, more like bluebells but still smell fantastic. Totally unplanned colour co-ordination :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for having Brunnera survive in a pot, I thought it was too deep-rooted to enjoy captivity.

      Delete
  3. We have a brunnera Jack Frost which is lovely. We also have some Centaurea Montana on the plot and get two flushes of flowers - when the first lot fade the plant tends to flop so I cut back all the old leaves and it reshoots and flowers again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of Jack Frost too, very attractive. Good tip about cutting back the Centaurea, I will try that because it can get really ungainly later in the year.

      Delete
  4. It seems to do really well in a pot as does my epimedium. The one I planted in the ground has vanished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol almost embarrassed to say!!! It's a really pretty small leaved, delicate looking SNOWBERRY!!!! We are surrounded by wild snowberry in the wood but this is a different form with pink berries in the Autumn and it doesn't sucker (so they say!!) Also bought a new frittilary (never sure of the spelling but no time to check!)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}