Sunday, 7 April 2013

NGS Garden Visit: Woodend

The first visit of what has, so far, been a very challenging year for gardeners with the coldest March anyone can remember.  I felt so sorry for the lady who is opening this garden for the first time; despite some of her plants being much further on than most others in the area (the garden is quite sheltered) she was worried that so little is blooming and that people would be disappointed.  It didn't detract from a great visit though, this is a charming garden and it was really inspiring to see some of her ideas.  A very social morning, I bumped into lots of folk I knew and seemed to spend more time chatting and drinking coffee than taking pictures :}











A very successful outing because not only did I have a lovely time at Woodend but I called into Seaview Nurseries and came back with 8 really good sized laurel plants for the long side bed. 

6 comments:

  1. Funny - I only think of the NGS scheme as gardens being open at the height of summer.

    You sound to have had a lovely time - I love the hellebores - the rich reds of those in pic 3 are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Hazel and this is the first weekend of 'proper' NGS open gardens for the year. However, in February and March, 11 different gardens opened on many dates for snowdrops & daffodils (although like Woodend, I suspect the daffs were a bit late). You're right about the hellebores - they were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like my kind of garden ,,, just wish I could get mine to look like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have liked it Jill, but I think you do your own garden a great disservice :}

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely garden and the dark hellebore are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think next year I am going to have to close my eyes to the price tag and buy some hellebores that colour :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}