Friday, 5 April 2013

Fed up with the cold

Looking at 'the big picture' I have nothing to complain about in respect of the weather - no snow, no flooding, no landslips.  On a micro level however, I am fed up with the bitingly cold wind.  Wednesday tea-time Management and I took Daisy to a local nature reserve and needed full winter walking gear in order not to completely freeze.  Same on Thursday when Madam and I had a pleasant 2.5 miles along the River Cocker, more sheltered and out of the worst of the wind but still fairly rubbish. 

The intention today was to toddle around in the Cottage Garden and maybe spend an hour in the greenhouse sowing the first seeds.  The reality was to go "oh sod it", light the woodburner before lunch and drag out a huge pile of unread magazines.

Last autumn I went into something of a decline.  Thinking about it, the problems started in the summer and one of the signs which I didn't recognise at the time was that I stopped reading.  All my life I have read voraciously; for me, not reading is like not eating or sleeping, but books which required me to concentrate sat abandoned and the lovely magazines which I have on subscription arrived and went into a dusty pile.  I didn't even take the wrappers off most of them.

     
(This is not the only pile but it is the largest, there are smaller ones strewn around the house)






14 comments:

  1. We are also fed up with bitterly cold winds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there Sue, I think I saw a forecast earlier which reckoned by mid-next week it could be damp and the wind would be SW, not E.

      Delete
  2. I think I understand about the reading. As a child I was either reading or playing tennis and ice skating, but after children most of that stopped. My daughter got me back into reading when I was made redundant and I've really enjoyed it, but do have times when I can't get motivated. My last couple of years have been bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I didn't get very far with the magazine catch-up but I feel better than I've had a good tidy up :}

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you're reading again. You can even do that on your tablet if you download the free app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I know I could download an app, but the only book I'm interested in having in digital format so I can take it with me when out and about isn't available :{
      (Garden Plants for Scotland by Kenneth Cox and Raoul Curtis-Machin)

      I don't know that you and Flummery will ever convince me to do the Kindle thing :}

      Delete
    2. I'm with Bilbo - I love a paper book and that from a self confessed computerphile

      Delete
  4. Fed up of that wind too ,,, we are getting it straight off the North Sea ,,, getting really grumpy with it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, I've been thinking of you over on the freezing east coast ...

      Delete
  5. The photo is really frustrating - I can see only a couple of titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roddie, can you hear that noise? It's a Hobbit sniggering :} :} :}

      Delete
  6. I've always loved to read, but over the past year I hadn't done much of it. However, at Christmas time I treated myself to a new Kindle Fire HD. And, since that time, I've read a whole bunch of books. Not always great literature, but reading nonetheless. So far, I haven't made use of many of its other numerous features, but I'm thrilled to have it.

    Sorry its still cold there. It goes from cool to warm here, and I'm afraid its going to jump right into summer before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG, I can understand why people love them, heck, I've held them - stroked them - had a go at reading a page or two - and I still don't currently feel they are for me. BUT, over the last couple of decades I've seen people read less and less. I know one person who told me a few months back they have not read a single book since leaving school, so anything which gets people reading again and away from the TV or games consoles is a good thing. Glad you are enjoying yours.

      Delete
  7. Had a lovely day yesterday that could have even passed for Spring but today it's back to the bracing easterly breezes! Just had a ride to the coast and did not even want to get out of the car!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}