Sunday, 28 April 2013

Daisy time

She's been with us five months and has her paws very firmly under the table and across my heart.  Daisy has settled down into such a lovely girl and slowly we're overcoming her dreadful fear of water.  I realised last week that I can now pick up her water bowl and walk towards the sink without her cowering, fearful that she's going to get wet.  Although it's still not possible to give her a proper bath she is getting much better at allowing me to go over her with a wet flannel.

It's probably a good thing that I will never know what happened to her in the past and an excellent thing that I will never meet the person who must (we assume) have either thrown buckets of water at her or maybe even dumped her in water when she was abandoned.  The USA got into terrible trouble for alleged water-boarding and I suspect the authorities here would take a dim view of my trying the same thing out on whoever harmed Daisy.

   rolling on her back on the grass is this week's favourite activity



She's a very good natured and happy little soul.  When she wants to play she will go and fetch a toy and start throwing it up in the air - hard to resist being asked so nicely :}  Some days I am busy and she just gets a couple of walks around the block together with garden time, and other days she eagerly leaps into the car and we drive somewhere for a longer outing.  Whilst she obviously likes the big trips she seems equally contended with days spent closer to home so long as she can spend the evening on her memory foam bed in front of the woodburner.

Daisy has definitely found her "voice".  She has different barks and whines for different occasions.  When Management comes home there is delighted whining and squeaking, a mouth full of whatever 'gift' she is bringing him, lots of wiggling and a madly wagging tail.

When I come home the whining becomes a wailing crescendo and the delighted tail hurts like hell when she whacks you at knee level.



I won't take risks near lambs but on Saturday afternoon she was very good off the lead around sheep on Sale Fell.

   I was throwing biscuits to try and get a decent photo of her coming back towards me.  I failed :}

On Sunday morning we had a blustery walk in the dunes at Mawbray where she played with a few nice dogs we met including the two young Irish Wolfhounds.  After our walk I drove a short way up the coast to Bank Mill Nursery.  To be honest I'd forgotten it was so close and haven't been in there for months.

Serendipity - all the plants I have been thinking about in the last couple of weeks were available and leapt into a trolley: euphorbia, aubretia, an unnamed pulsatilla and a lovely pink hellebore that has finished flowering and set loads of seeds.

Daisy waited patiently in the car whilst I shopped; I could see her from inside the nursery and she was keeping a very close eye on the door for my return :}












8 comments:

  1. What a sweetie! so lovely that she has a happy home and lots and lots of cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matron, I know how close to your heart this is and you can rest assured that Little Miss Perfect has truly landed on all four paws :}

      Delete
  2. I think you were destined to be together, she seems to be the perfect little miss for you. It's so lovely to read such a happy outcome for an abandoned dog, it sadly isn't always the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday - Someone, Somewhere had a Plan for Daisy to come and be the third member of our little family.

      Delete
  3. If it turns out that re-incarnation is true, I want to come back as a dog belonging to you, Ann and Roger, or Sean McMahon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roddie, what do you mean "if", of course reincarnation happens. You need to think "when" !

      Delete
  4. We had a day on the North York Moors yesterday and saw someone walking a dog off lead where free range lambs were close by! Will Daisy go over bridges across water yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, no comment on dogs near lambs - you know my views :} Daisy is getting better re: water and will cross some bridges but I'm not forcing the issue.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}