Friday, 22 February 2013

Whoosh, another week gone

How did it get to be Friday?  A busy week, doesn't feel like I've done much although by the time I get to the end of this post I'll realise that actually, quite a lot has been achieved.

As suspected, on Monday our joiner was not terribly happy about removing the door moulding.  I wasn't very happy about the mess it made :{   By Friday, however, Wayne had made a start on repairing the damaged area, and all the woodwork in the Boot Room was finished - window seat, skirting boards and wall cupboards.  There is now decorating to do and curtains & a seat cushion to sort out and I'm not even going to think about the floor for now.  It has taken longer than I expected but the end result is just what we wanted and that is all that really matters.



Daisy had a trip to the vet on Wednesday afternoon with a mucky eye that needed antibiotic eye drops (conjunctivitis).  She responded very quickly to the treatment and by Friday the eye looked normal again and the discharge had gone.  We saw a different vet, Vicky, who was very taken with Daisy as she has whippets of her own.  Vicky thinks Daisy might be even younger than the last estimate - she guesses no more than three, possibly as young as two?  We'll never know for sure but I'm delighted with this possibility, the younger Daisy is the more years we might have with her.

On Thursday she was treated to a new Ruff-Wear harness.  We used one on Ollie with great success, I like to have a 'handle' with which you can grab/lift a dog if necessary when out on the fells.  It was christened with a walk from the Blenthcathra Centre.  I'd planned to go to Skiddaw House but it was more windy than expected and that, together with the cold, was energy sapping.  We went as far as the Guide Stone and turned round when I realised I was thinking more about a mug of hot chocolate & the wood burner than the path underfoot.



I did very little on Friday after falling up the stone steps at the side of the house.  The initial few seconds of "oh hell, have I broken my wrist?" were thankfully followed by "just bruised and beaten up".  It was a bitterly cold day and I expected it to start snowing at any moment so curling up on the sofa with Daisy was deemed appropriate medicine.



In other news - twenty 8 foot long fence posts were delivered for LP to use at the weekend.

As proof that she is feeling confident and settled in her new home, Daisy has been pretending to go off her food. Most likely because I bought some of her favourite biscuits in Keswick on Thursday - canine equivalent of a big bag of Haribos and she's testing the water to see if she can bully me into letting her exist solely on them.  She turned her nose up at all three meals today to be firmly told "eat it or go hungry".  Plaintively standing next to the cupboard where 'Haribos' are stored makes me quite sure there is nothing wrong with her.

My beloved Krups machine is about to expire and has been replaced by a little DeLonghi coffee maker.  Happily it makes even better espresso than the Krups and that makes a very happy Hobbit!  As I had to replace the microwave as well, the early part of the week felt like this:



8 comments:

  1. Oh poor you! So sorry to learn of your tumble up the steps (they do look very unforgiving, mind you). Glad nothing broken, but don't overdue with the wrist. Loved the comic - funny because it's true! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I'm fine, in fact I got off very lightly. Glad you enjoyed the XKCD comic, thought you might :}

      Delete
  2. Yes, that was a busy week. Don't you hate it when everything seems to go at the same time.
    Just before Xmas, we had to buy a new iron, computer (desktop) and 2 weeks ago a new DVD recorder. All this from a lady who wasn't ever going into the new world of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things come in threes, Susan. that should be you sorted for a while :}

      Delete
  3. Are you feeling okay? I'm envious of that new coffee maker, you know. I have an el cheapo expresso machine and I very seldom pull it out. Got any hints on a good cuppa? (coffee, that is?) Oh, and I've gotten hooked on Isis red hibiscus tea from Egypt. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG, I'm fine thanks :} After getting SERIOUS sticker shock at the price of a new espresso machine (my Krups was 10 years old) I found a DeLonghi EC152. I buy beans in small quantities from a supplier who seems to roast them the day they are despatched, www.hasbean.co.uk, and have a burr grinder.

      My trick is to grind only 2 or 3 days worth at a time and keep in a tightly sealed container so the oils are not lost. This could all be academic and unavailable in the USA. Email me privately if you want any more details, nothing like a GOOD coffee, especially one you don't have to leave home for.

      Delete
  4. I had to choose the paint for the hall and stairs this week - Martyn leaves colours to me - I took home a test pot - tried it on the walls - went to bed and woke in the middle of the night thinking the paint was too dark a shade. Martyn said not to worry if we don't like it we can paint over it. Thinks I - what if I hate it and he loves it? - and it has taken about four years to get round to this round of painting! Outcome - back to the shop and home with a colour two shades lighter - now- what if it's too light?

    By the way agree with the cartoon - why when there are 483 reviews that say a product is great and give it five stars do we worry that 3 think it's rubbish and give it only one star?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your paint choice, H, S & L is such a big area. Of course, just to make your life more difficult you do know the paint will look different in the hall, up the stairs and on the landing as the light changes ..... (whoosh, ducking for cover!).

      Here's something I've done in the past: don't paint a test block on a wall, paint a large sheet of paper (A2 if you can get it) and carry it around to see how the light changes.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}