Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Quilty plans

Hobbit using the word "quilt", surely not? So I find myself thinking about quilting again, I still haven't made any of the 'Swoon' blocks which were so popular last year and I want to, then there's the 'Blooming Nine Patch' which I've wanted to do for ages but coming up with the right spread of fabrics is hard, and now there is Daisy who will certainly appreciate anything I make.  So when Doughty's sent me a New Year 'we're having a huge sale' email I felt it was time to buy fabric. And, oh boy, did I buy fabric, definitely making up for the fact that I didn't purchase any in 2012.

Things went wrong the following day when I missed a phone call from them to tell me their online cart doesn't actually keep track of stock and therefore they didn't have half of the fabrics I'd selected. When I got to speak to one of the Managers on Monday he was deeply apologetic and I put aside my inclination to cancel the entire order. Matt persuaded me that he could come up with substitutions which matched my selections and price match too. I should have listened to my instinct.

The fabrics arrived this morning, disappointing is an understatement. If I'm ordering tone-on-tone fabrics which read plain from a distance, substitutions with SPOTS or a GEOMETRIC GRID are never going to work. And then there's the John Louden 'Flutter' fabrics which looked so promising online, they still LOOK promising, it's just they feel like the cheapest, most nasty scratchy cloth you've ever laid hands on.  I wouldn't expect the dog to be comfortable on this material so I'm sure as hell not going to use it in a quilt.

The entire package is going back, and I have to go to the trouble repacking it, taking it to the Post Office, waiting for a refund.  Am not at all impressed with the 'great' Doughty's. 



8 comments:

  1. Oh dear - the joys of online shopping eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I have bought numerous yards of fabric online in the past with no problem - but from American companies. Now that postage rates have gone up so much and the Post Office are far too keen to 'catch' packages for VAT/Customs (I am sure the £8 Post Office fee is not an incentive for them ...) it is no longer such good value so I thought I would give a UK company the business.

      Certainly don't intend to use Doughty's again.

      Delete
  2. Poor you, not your week evidently. You could come and raid my stash, but think the aifares maybe a tad too much. Hope you find somewhere else to purchase fabric. Have you tried Keepsake Quilting? I have bought from them in the past and postage wasn't too bad. I'd love to see you quilting again as QuiltSue says you are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer of a stash-raid :} I have visited Keepsake when I was in America once, didn't care for it at all. Snooty place, very unwelcoming. In truth, I probably have enough fabric to keep me going for the next 15 years . . .

      Delete
  3. Hey OzSue, if anyone's going to raid anyone's stash, it won't be Bilbo, she could open her own shop I reckon! Still, it's so disappointing when that happens. The best UK shop I've found for online stuff is Quilters Haven and they're quick too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks for the heads-up on Quilters Haven. I shall give Doughty's one more chance - they have a roadshow in Cumbria at the beginning of March, at least there I can touch the fabric before I commit to it!

      Delete
  4. Hi Bilbo. Sorry you had such a bad experience with the fabric. Also sorry to hear you didn't care for Keepsake. I've never ordered online from them, only shopped in the store. Maybe I was too preoccupied with my pals, but they seemed fine to me.

    However, I am delighted to hear that you are even thinking about quilting again. I've been slacking off a good while and need to get on with it. I've tons of fabric that need to be put to use. I dare not buy more for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG, aren't we lucky to have such great stashes to fall back on?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}