Sunday, 6 January 2013

Hydrophobic?

Daisy and I were in need of a good walk this morning but the weather over the fells looked awful.  I drove up to the sand dunes at Mawbray on the Solway coast and we managed to keep dry the entire outing.  I don't just mean that it didn't rain - Daisy managed to keep dry by being totally hydrophobic and avoiding water.

As the tide was out we started walking along the beach.  She seemed to enjoy herself although she didn't go manic and run around madly like most dogs do when they find sand under their feet.



Everything was doing well until we came to a little freshwater "streamlet".  Barely 2 inches deep and about 2 metres wide I walked straight through it and kept going. Daisy refused to follow,  I called her - nothing.  I walked back to the edge of the stream - nothing.  I waved biscuits at her - nothing.  She jumped up and down, ran away from the water, ran around in small circles but absolutely would not come towards me.  There are no photos of the ensuing lunacy as I walked back through the stream, got hold of her harness and had to carry/drag her through/across the water.  Legs flailing, body twisting, anything to avoid getting wet!  This is not the first time she's displayed hydrophobia - I've seen her jump OVER a puddle on Sale Fell.  Things are going to get interesting on the fells when we have to cross a real stream . . .

The rest of the walk had no such difficulties because I don't really care for beaches and Daisy definitely does not favour them either so we spent the rest of the morning wandering through the sand dunes. 



It's a lovely area famous for being a major breeding site of the Natterjack Toad and this morning was the hunting site for a pair of beautiful Short Eared Owls.  I chatted to a birder for a while who said this pair had been in the area for over a week.  Surprisingly I even got a photo which wasn't a blurred blob in the distance :}









8 comments:

  1. Was Daisy badly treated before you got her or
    don't you know, but it seems strange that she doesn't like water. Enjoy walking with her though, whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, we don't believe she was severely abused but M. thinks she's been hit (he raised his hand to get something off a shelf and she cowered), we'll never know what her life was like pre-Bag End. She is a gorgeous little lass though, and I feel privileged to have her.

      Delete
  2. Well she certainly didn't like the sea did she? I love how you could almost see her put the brakes on when she realised, then span round and came straight back to you as if to say "what the heck was THAT Mum?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the bit you see her veering away from is not much more than damp sand left behind by the tide!

      Delete
  3. You were safe Bilbo, we were parked further North and headed North and we stuck to the beach and didn't walk in the dunes at all, so Daisy didn't risk getting run down by a lunatic! Amazing that we both chose the same day to go to the seaside though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how big Cumbria is, what are the chances of us both deciding to go to almost exactly the same spot? Shame we didn't see you, I'd have enjoyed seeing Daisy run around with your hairy Leviathan!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}