Friday, 25 January 2013

Hunkering down

Very grey and cold and we were forecast a big dump of snow by mid-day.  I was planning on going for a fell walk with Daisy but at teatime yesterday we met a neighbour who has a 1-year old Labradoodle.  Daisy and Fraser ran around on the green behind the houses until they were both completely out of breath and getting tired.  I have rarely seen two dogs charge around together in such a lunatic fashion and have so much fun, wish I'd had a camera with me.  Needless to say Daisy was very quiet last night, so an hour down by the river this morning was  quite enough for her, especially as we met up with Mad Labradoddle again so the two dogs went nuts and wore each other out.

     Too much speed for in focus photos and I knew the camera battery needed charging and wouldn't have managed video. Daisy was definitely Top Dog in this game but Fraser seemed to love it.





The threatened snow never materialised but it was cold, so cold that I lit the woodburner at 1.00pm - think that is the earliest it has ever gone on and Daisy happily snoozed in front of it all afternoon and evening.  Definitely a day for hunkering down indoors. Thanks to QuiltSue, my huge ironing backlog was dealt with in the afternoon.  Sadly, she did not jump in the car to do it for me, just kept me company on the phone whilst I did laundry!



There has been patchwork progress, unfortunately not quite what I intended.   Starting with 2½" strips that were already cut would produce Country Charmer blocks SO BIG that the design stopped working, and I want to use the Simplicity Layer Cake because I've already had one abortive go with it and want to use the damn thing!  I could do one of two things - make something else with the Layer Cake fabrics, or abandon them (again) and re-start Country Charmer the "right size".  I'm afraid the first option won out - this week I want to be using stuff up and sewing 'something' more than I desperately want to make C.C.



That's not to say I won't have a go at C.C. later on, but right now I am messing around with a sort-of Single Irish Chain.  Whilst it's going to make a very pastel and pretty quilt, it doesn't actually use up a whole lot of the Layer Cake ...





6 comments:

  1. Too right I didn't come and the ironing for you!

    Left over layer cake, cushions maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QuiltSue - Nah - don't do patchwork cushions! Will probably end up piecing it all together to use as a backing for something.

      Delete
  2. Pleased to see Daisy enjoying her new friend. Shame you missed the snow, we ended up with a good lot - about 8" I guess - but as it has been thawing all day and is forecast to continue, then it's thinning fast. Thick white stuff that isn't going to hang about for weeks is definitely the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your snow has not hung around CB, being cut off gets boring very quickly.

      Delete
  3. The snow came here overnight Friday/Saturday but didn't hang around as it was followed by rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Sue, hope the rapid thaw has not caused any flooding in your area.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}