Friday, 21 December 2012

Normal service will be resumed . . .

Allegedly.

I've been blaming productivity and connectivity problems on rural broadband.  Sadly, the problem might be my lovely, shiny, much-loved iMac.  Much-loved, that is, until it goes wrong.  At which point I hanker back to the days of a 'normal' PC where I can get out a screwdriver, take off the cover, remove the offending component and slot in a new one.

Until such time as either I get the iMac fixed or swear loudly and buy a desktop PC, my internet life will stumble along courtesy of a laptop that I've never bonded with that has a crap screen which makes my eyeballs hurt and Google Mail ....

The 'old' Google cookie problem of not allowing blog comments even when signed in seems to be a perpetual issue on this machine, despite clearing cookies ad nauseum and right now I can't even reply to comments on my own blog.   Grrrr.  Frustration.  So much for a relaxing Christmas catching on on computer stuff.

You're probably all used to never getting replies to your emails or blog comments so won't notice any difference.

Happy Crimble to all.

and if I was on the Mac right now there would be a pretty little smiley with some seasonal holly to end this post, but this is Windows so there isn't :{



11 comments:

  1. I've been wondering what was up at Bag End. There is absolutely NOTHING so frustrating as computer problems. I was ready to use my wireless printer as a boat anchor for a couple of weeks. Glad to know you're well.

    Merry Christmas to you and Management, and to Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, bother, her name is DAISY, not Sam. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Giggle - don't worry, Daisy is often called Ollie (by Management) and I refer to her as a 'good boy' ... she doesn't seem to mind!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. Do you think it's fixable at all?

    I see Daisy's putting on weight nicely.

    Pretty smileys and seasonal holly to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, as you may have seen from my subsequent post, looks like we have a solution - breathes sigh of relief ....

      Hope your hotel lived up to expectations and that everyone has enjoyed themselves.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Happy Crimble to you too, Kris. Long email on its way to you ......

      Delete
  4. You could just plug a monitor into your laptop couldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you'd think so and it was something we considered at one point. Slight problem - no spare monitor and the iMac doesn't have HDMI sockets and although it might be do-able we'd need a cable that we don't have.

      Management has beaten the laptop calibration into something resembling submission and thanks to Thunderbird I can continue to avoid Google Mail.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmmm.... 3 out of 4 responses from somebody named "Sue". Wonder how many other bloggers can make that claim to fame??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help it if many of my friends share the same lovely name, can I ?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}