Sunday, 30 December 2012

Log supply and log store

We seem to run the wood burner from about September until April/May, so the end of December is mid-way through eight months of burning. We're half way through the big logs and a quarter of the way through the smaller ones but if we're going to get a really cold spell (and use more wood) it will come in the next couple of months.



There's something very elemental, almost primitive, and deeply satisfying about seeing full log baskets and a good, dry supply outside.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with the sentiment. A full cord at the ready with dry stock in the garage satisfies one even when not burning. I sure don't get the same "warm and fuzzy" looking at the central heat thermostat, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power cuts are not uncommon around here Kris, and occasionally last a few hours. It is comforting to know that I could heat some water, cook a simple meal and stay warm.

      Delete
  2. Very idyllic scene you are conjuring up. WE had a log fire at the cottage we rented in October in N Yorks and you would have laughed at us trying to light the log fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, admittedly these days I can lay and light a fire in about three minutes flat but it wasn't always like that . . .

      Delete
    2. PS: and I absolutely WOULD NOT have laughed at you. It's always possible that the wood left for you wasn't properly seasoned and I defy anyone to light a fire quickly with damp timber (use of liquid accelerants not allowed!)

      Delete
  3. Totally agree, refilled all our log baskets from our log store yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}