Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Turned out nice again

When it's not raining constantly, weather at Bag End tends to take a turn for the better after lunch.  That has been the case the last two days so Tuesday afternoon I messed around with the pond for a couple of hours and laid spare liner over most of the ledges.  We will end up piling a considerable weight on these ledges in the form of stones, soil, plants and water so the more protection the liner has, the better.



On Wednesday I was able to finish the second layer of liner (the stones won't stay exactly where they are, just acting as paperweights for now) but there was a section which needed trimming.  Management was persuasive in his suggestion that it would be a lot easier to cut if I was IN the water rather than bending over it.  He may have been right although I suspect his motivation was the opportunity to take some silly pictures.

First outing in new waders; very strange feeling, never worn them before and even walking into two foot of water the pressure on my legs was surprising.  And it was cold, very cold.  But the job got done, I didn't get wet, so success all round.    Height of sartorial elegance they are and I won't hear a word against them {snigger}.



Have also moved all the waiting pond plants to one place where they can stay wet and (hopefully) safe until LP is available to assist filling loads more underwater growbags and I can get them planted. 





There was time at the end to test out the overhanging edge of the decking!





13 comments:

  1. Height of sartorial elegance maybe, but I bet you can't strut like a model in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pond's bigger than most people's gardens!
    Well done you - lots of hard work there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Kath, not so much a garden pond as a small tarn! Let's me honest here, most of the hard work has been done by LP or a large digger.

      Delete
  3. Ah, that last pic IS the money shot. *grin*

    Amazing how quickly the pond filled....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Kris, the money shots were the ones of me screeching about the cold and 'suggesting' to Management that if he wanted to take some photos that he needed to bluddy well get on with it. And they are in my Trash folder . . .

      Delete
  4. Very cool look! When are you venturing into the centre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, have been into the centre and it's currently over two foot deep :}

      Delete
  5. Wish I'd got sartorially elegant waders of my own ...I've got to venture into my top pond in the very near future (ie, this weekend!)and I know it's deeper than my wellies are tall!

    It's looking a whole lot better and more pond-like than it was back in May! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For very few Beer Vouchers from eBay, you too can look this stylish in the garden! Have emailed you the details. xx

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}