Sunday, 30 September 2012

It's not a pond without water

When we created the Big Pond I was under no illusions as to how large it is but photos can only show part of the story.  If it looks big in these pictures you should try standing next to it!  



Given how ruddy huge the hole is we figured it would take quite some time for it to fill with water. Of course, we hadn't reckoned on a ludicrously wet September.  In the last three days I have added 45mm to the rainfall total for the month, and 28mm of that (nearly an inch in old money) just last night.  The greenhouse IBC tank was overflowing first thing, over 500 litres added since 6.00pm yesterday.  That's been drained into the pond and it is still raining.

Yesterday I moved far more stones than possibly I should but managed to clear the pile that remained up by the Top Pond and moved all of the pallets which were queued up by the hornbeam hedge.  Found a missing tape measure under one of the pallets but surprisingly, no mouse nests.  One of the pallets has a solid top . . .  it's a bit high but for the first time we can sit and look over the water, that was a lovely place to have a quiet beer before I came in last night (when the views were considerably better than they are now).



The waders came out to play again and now I've got over the strangeness of wearing them, they're rather good :}  So much so that plans for a coracle have been put on hold.  Thanks to the waders I've been able to position some very large stones on the bottom of the pond and balanced slate slabs on top.  I'll add more stones next time I feel like paddling - childishly (?) creating little underwater caves.  I tell myself that I'm creating another habitat option.



Have moved all the tubs of pond plants to what I hope will be roughly their final positions.  Tallest plants on the far side so as not to obstruct the view from the house. A couple of 'perching posts' complete the playing around.





Wish LP wasn't working away at present.  I need his help to fill 100 hessian sandbags with sieved topsoil so that the planting can begin.  I'd hoped we would be able to position the underwater growbags before the ledges were covered with water but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.




Last bit of good news but no pictures - have now seen a large dragonfly on three consecutive days!  It quarters back and forth over the water and has given some of the plants a fairly close look. 






9 comments:

  1. It's not called the Lake District for nothing :o). I can't believe how quickly you've turned this from a gaping hole into a garden pond. Are you getting quicker with each subsequent pond you make? Are there going to be any more??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, YES and NO!

      Yes, I think we are getting quicker, it certainly helps having created three ponds in close succession because there hasn't been time to forget all the mistakes made and repeat them (which is what usually happens).
      No, I don't think there will be any more, not sure there is room :}

      Delete
  2. Does this mean next year there will be duck pictures to go with the pheasants and other assorted birds?

    We've a pond, nothing on that scale, built up area and still get the occasional giant dragon fly 3" inches long and pencil thick - they are amazing, more like something you'd expect to see somewhere tropical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamsin, I very much hope there will not be ducks. Many years ago we had a small canal boat and my abiding memory is green shit all over the mooring . . .

      Delete
    2. Tamsin, sorry, meant to say 'Whoopee' that you also have dragonfly. Do you know which one/s visit you? Ours has been too far away to identify accurately.

      Delete
  3. Lake Superior is looking pretty good and the transformation on it since May is incredible!

    You've done a lot more than us - our bottom pond remains a hole ...but it did manage to retain several inches of water in it without a liner during the storms earlier in the week!

    Thanks for the info you sent me - much appreciated. Will be emailing back soonish! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Nutty, I don't know about Lake Superior but it certainly looks very different to when you saw the garden. You have an excuse for not making big changes this summer; I didn't realise at the time how much damage you'd done to your knee (suspect neither did you), then you've had weddings and Olympics and goodness knows what else! Will comment on your latest lovely blog post when I have re-read it, am sure I've missed some bits the first time round :}

      Delete
  4. Not sure pond is a large enough word! I think Nutty Gnome might have the right one! Looks fabulous, even with raindrops falling on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, didn't you say there was a chance of you coming up here soon? It would be good for you to see it all for yourself :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}