Wednesday, 15 August 2012

I can't do it

Last month I said I would put a 'weed and feed' on the Cottage Garden lawn.  I didn't want to because I loath using chemicals but I agreed that we would do it just once, and after Management's hard work with the scarifier it was my turn to have a go at improving the grass.

I can't do it.  The product was bought a month ago and has sat in the shed.  This morning I prepared to do the deed and read the back of the packet.



Keep pets off the lawn for at least three days (try telling that to the red squirrel and pheasant and her babies which I have already seen this morning, let alone the countless birds)

Keep grazing pets (rabbits) off lawn for four weeks 

Do not use clippings as a mulch for four weeks

Do not use compost containing clippings for SIX MONTHS?

and no mention of the damage I know it will do to the pond if run off gets into the water 



Holy crap, how long are the residual effects of these chemicals really going to last?  The box is in the rubbish bin, I know it's a waste of money but I can't put this stuff on our soil.



Time to make up some comfrey or nettle feed and when it is mature and stinky I will water it across the grass.  I'll dig the thistles out by hand.


11 comments:

  1. Oh you poor dear. Of course you can't use that chemical stuff. I thought you had an organic weed'n'feed available over there. I was 'gifted' with 40 pounds of chemical garden fertilizer once. Nasty stuff. Luckily the EPA has annual events where we can drop of toxic chemicals, fertilizers, petroleum products, batteries, paint, etc., to keep the like out of landfills.

    I'm sure your lawn (and wildlife) will fare much better with doses of comfrey and other organic fertilizers. To prevent annual weed germination, use corn gluten (which eventually breaks down into fertilizer, too). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I believe there are some corn starch based 'organic' products around but for now I think I'll dig the worst perennials out by hand and give everything else a good feed of nettle tea (once I've brewed it).

      Delete
  2. Yuk - after reading that lot, I wouldn't use it either! Shame you didn't realise it's toxicity before buying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel, it's my own fault. I'm slowly realising that needing reading glasses means I need to take them shopping - not just leave them on the reading pile by the bed! If I'd read the back of this box carefully I'd never have bought it, thankfully it was the cheapest available in Wilko so no huge fiscal loss.

      Delete
  3. There are some preparations you can use that aren't as 'deadly' BW. Maybe not as effective but worth the compromise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, left to my own devices I wouldn't use anything but Management was hoping I could do something to make the Cottage Garden lawn look better. Now I've stopped to consider the job properly, there is lots I can do that doesn't involve a quick fix of chucking about.

      Glad you liked the squirrel pic, took it about an hour before I posted on the blog.

      Delete
  4. Don't blame you, I wouldn't use it either! I get dandelions and buttercups out with a pair of old scissors ,,, very effective! Fabulous shot of the squirrel BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, scissors are remarkably useful in unusual ways. I have an old Kitchen Devil bread knife in the shed which often comes in handy! Glad you liked the squirrel pic :}

      Delete
  5. Jeez. Is all I can say. I didn't realise these things were so lethal and shouldn't be allowed to be on sale! (not that I use them, I hasten to add, for anyone reading this). I grow good weeds and I'm proud of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMM, I guess most people don't really know what is in the garden products which are so freely available. If it's on sale in B&Q it must be OK, right? Unfortunately, the marketing power of companies like Monsanto and Bayer will outweigh the voices of reason for many years to come - all in the name of profit and keeping the shareholders happy.

      Whilst we have companies like this gaily producing products containing Neonicotinoid Pesticides which are known to damage bees (Google 'nicotine-based weedkiller' and prepare to be very depressed and disturbed) the future for wildlife is bleak. Not helped by the BBKA (British Beekeeping Assoc) continuing to take money annually from Bayer . . . shaking head and going away before I get too angry :{

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}