Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Coppice

The weather could be much worse - yes, really.  As Hazel kindly pointed out this morning, Bag End has had over a foot of rain so far this year with another 15mm falling since yesterday afternoon.  Much of America is in the worst drought in 100 years with the loss of crops and in some cases, livestock.  This will affect all of us in the coming months as food prices increase.  At least my plants are growing, after a fashion.  There are fewer flowers than I would hope for at this time of year and lush foliage takes a dreadful battering in the wind.  Also growing strongly are weeds.  I shall look on this as a positive thing - once I have pulled them out that is one less uninvited seedling which cannot germinate again.

As it is too wet to do much outside today it is time the Coppice had a review all of its own.  This area is coming together slowly and I love it.  What is planted needs time to grow and there are spaces which have not yet been filled but gardening takes time, something that today's Instant Gratification society tends to forget.



The pulmonaria have been outstanding, as is this Lamium.  I bought it from Chapelside on an NGS visit, not sure which variety it is but very much hope to get some seeds from it. I'm not usually a fan of variegated foliage but this is delightful.





Foxgloves (Excelsior mixed) grown from seed this year.  Very pleased with how they are coming on,  I've put a dozen plants behind the hazel hedge but it is too wet finish the row.





The hostas have got through this wet summer with virtually no slug damage.  This gorgeous blue variety came from Country Bumpkin (who also supplied the lovely blue geranium behind the top pond), another one I want to try and save seed from.



Much weeding to be done . . .   sneaking into the left of shot is Primula florindae, also known as Himalayan Cowslip with 2 foot high flower spikes.  It is beautiful and doing well with a delicious scent, I've heard the fragrance described as nutmeg but to me it is vanilla and freshness all rolled into one.  






7 comments:

  1. Sorry that you are not sharing our beautiful sunshine today. Let`s hope your rain soon moves away.

    Your garden looks very good. I`m sure we have that little pink lamium somewhere in a border. I also love Yellow Archangel, which grows in shady places in the spring. Our hostas have hardly a slug/snail mark on them this year. Hopefully because the birds have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a real fan of pulmonaria. I love the changing flower colour in spring, the pink and blue in there together, like a baby bootee convention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No slug damage on the hostas!! Wow. We have a white flowered laminum and our pulmonarias too have thrived in the damp conditions. It has been very hot today though and yesterday I was touched by a little sunburn when we went plotting! It was that gap that opens up between trouser top and top bottom when bending - if you know what I mean!

    Love the copse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed how wonderful my Pulmonaria is too Bilbo. I have a clump just under a tree peony and it is startlingly silver at the moment and most impressive. As for our vegetable garden - I am afraid it has suffered greatly with all the rain. The pollinators were not around when the pea and broad bean flowers were out so the crop is much reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How on earth do you manage to get no slug damage, mine have been decimated, eve eating through the stems so the leaves collapsed! Never seen so many as I have this year! I seriously covet your Himalayan Cowslip :-) Mine have done better this year with all the rain and the flowers on the buddleia are gigantic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for lovely comments.

    @DW: I reckon the birds are to thank for the slug control. Thanks for reminding me about Yellow Archangel, that would be a nice addition to the coppice.

    @VH: I think you may have recommended pulmonaria about three years ago :}

    @Sue: Hope the sunburn was not too severe, would love to be warm/dry enough to have a trouser and shirt gap!

    @Weaver: You've had as much rain as us, I think. Pumonaria love the damp - at least they're not suffering from mildew as they usually would by now.

    @Jill: No slug damage? Think it is the huge numbers of birds, at least I'm getting something back for the fortune we spend on bird food! Will try and save some seed from the Cowslip, hope it will throw some seedlings too but you're not having them unless you come up to collect in person :}

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}