Monday, 30 July 2012

Compromise?

After all the hard work of the last couple of years it would be silly to let it go feral again.  This, however, is exactly what the weeds would like to do and if I turn my back on the soil at present the uninvited plants are trying to take over.

After I got back from Hallsenna on Sunday afternoon I managed a couple of hours on the bog bed which produced four buckets of weeds.  One day (in my gardening dreams) the planting will be dense enough that there's no spare soil available for weeds to re-grow, unfortunately that happy state of affairs is some way off.  I don't want to have to keep finding chunks of time to clear the ground again so after deliberation with Management we agreed on bark chip as an answer. 









As I get other cultivated areas weeded I will put bark mulch on them too.  Believe it or not, I'd actually like to reduce the amount of time I spend in the garden at present and cutting down on weeding will go a long way towards that.  I don't want to stop working at Bag End but realistically, creating the rest of the garden whilst maintaining the parts we've already built is just a bit too much ☺

Fortunately we've still got loads of bark chip sitting on the drive.  Recently Mike Graham was working nearby and needed somewhere to unload his truck!  I was happy to be the recipient of his "rubbish".



I ended up taking much of this log pile to pieces in order to excavate the 'right' lumps of wood to build up my little pond-side log terrace - without this retaining wall the aforementioned blackies will manage to chuck bark into the pond on a daily basis.  As it rained on and off most of Monday it took nearly all day to complete what should have been a small task.  Whilst sheltering from frequent showers I did manage to fill seven buckets with logs which is no bad thing :}









10 comments:

  1. Over the years I've found no downside to wood chips. Initially they, as you said, look very smart. Then, as they break down, you do get a few weeds, but they pull so easily they are hardly a bother. Finally, down the road, the chips all turn into lovely compost.

    *sigh* I'm envious of all your lush green growth, chips or not. Everything looks lovely. Glad you are planning on making time for you to enjoy your work! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, now the chips are down (groan) I find it all looks much better than I expected (and in areas that haven't had a lot of home-made compost I chucked a few handfuls of pelleted chicken manure over the ground first)

      Delete
  2. AS you do less digging which brings up the weed seeds hopefully you will get less weeds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Sue, I'm a great believer in 'no dig' as advocated by Charles Dowding and have no desire to bring any more weed seeds to the surface!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, a whole lorryload of bark chips just dumped on your drive, that sounds like a wonderful trade to me. I can understand not wanting finished areas to get overrun with weeds straight away, it gets you down after a while. And I like Sue's optimism, it's not my experience, but it's a nice thought :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, it's wonderful to have such a big pile to draw on rather than trying to eek out a few bags.

      Delete
  4. The bark looks good if the blackbirds will leave it where it is. We are plagued with moles at the moment, determined to loosen and destroy everything I have planted this year :-(. Have any of your gardening friends got a solution???? (Have thought about moving!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, we have had one mole visit but he never came back.

      LP told me to take some rose cuttings (about 12" long, no leaves but lots of thorns) and stick them into the soil along what we thought was his run. There are various claims as to why this works, none of which sound plausible. However, not only did Moley never return but one of the cuttings took root and I now have a bonus wild dog rose working its way along the front fedge fence!

      Delete
  5. "Believe it or not, I'd actually like to reduce the amount of time I spend in the garden at present..."

    Did I dream it, or do I remember a certain Hobbit recently saying they'd actually like an extra acre ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roddie, that was no dream! Yes, I would love another acre because Bag End is not nearly big enough for all the things we want to do (but don't worry, in the unlikely event I manage to find an extension to the garden the plans are much less labour intensive!)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}