Saturday, 23 June 2012

Still raining

It is still raining but not as hard as yesterday.  According to one newspaper website, Cumbria has received a month’s worth of rain in 24 hours; there's another 25mm in our little garden measuring cones this morning.  It is at times like this I am very glad we took a deep breath and went to the expense of a new roof last year.  I'm  not sure the old one would have held up under the endless torrent.

When I came home from Woolfest yesterday the Derwent had just started to overflow its channel.  Given that this channel is much bigger since the 2009 flood than it used to be that takes a lot of water. This morning it is considerably worse.



In November 2009 we tried to work out the river catchment area - it's HUGE.  Water falling on the backside of Helvellyn drains into Thirlmere, which empties into the River Greta, flows through Keswick and meets the Derwent after Bassenthwaite.  Same with rain on much of Skiddaw - into Bassenthwaite and then to the Derwent.

Rainfall on Grasmoor, Loweswater and much of Buttermere drains into Crummock Water, then into the River Cocker to Cockermouth where it meets the Derwent.  I'd have to spend much time concentrating on a map but rain on Great Gable might also take the same route.

All in all, rain falling on a massive area eventually drains into the Derwent and flows past Bag End.  We are very glad we're nearly 200 feet above sea level and 50 feet above the river.  Don't know about the weather but my prediction for the weekend is much lazing around catching up on blog posts and I might even do more to the ironing basket than look at it as I walk past ☺

24 comments:

  1. Ha - someone who treats ironing as I do - I did mine though yesterday when it rained all day. It absolutely hammered down from around 7:00 pm on and off - poor poor flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Sue, sorry it has taken so long to reply to you (and that, of course, applies to everyone who has been lovely enough to leave comments). One week on . . . still raining!

      Delete
  2. A very wise move to have Bag End fifty feet above the river level! We are halfway down a gentle hill that drains water down from Forest moorland. It rushes past in a stream down the lane but thankfully it doesn`t settle here for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DW, location, location, location :} Not only are we 50 feet above the high water line but there is a very steep hill between us and the river (a 1 in 4 sort of hill) - don't think I ever get out of second gear coming up it.

      Delete
  3. Nah, don't even bother with that ironing basket. Go sew something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Kris, it's that thing I do to pretend that don't live in scruffy gardening clothes 100% of the time

      Delete
  5. Although I adore everything crisply ironed, I am with FFG here. :-)

    Of course it helps in my case that although I am a competent ironer, my mother is not only BRILLIANTLY SKILLED, she also LOVES ironing, so for suitable recompense (being treated to a meal out once a month or so, thankyou) she comes round once a week* and keeps things in good order.

    *Unless it is the monthly Mother's Union meeting at church. Or my godmother is staying for a couple of weeks (every couple of months). Or she arranges to go out with her neighbour for the day. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * Or she has come to Cumbria for a nice visit and decided to do her hostesses ironing to say 'thank you'.

      Delete
  6. Thought about you when we saw the weather reports - glad to hear you are not flooded. Hope all is well for you up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo, we're fine just a bit soggy :} No Solstice sunrise this year (well, there was one but it was hidden behind cloud)

      Delete
  7. Goodness, everyone has rain but me! Send it this way...but you can keep the ironing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lauren, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, much appreciated. Seems like all the rain is our side of the Pond this year. You're welcome to your share.

      Delete
  8. Is this photo taken from your garden Bilbo?
    If so I do hope you are at the top of a slope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning WoG, yes, that picture is taken from the house.

      Delete
  9. By 'eck Bilbo, it's looking very different from when we came to see you a month ago! I think we dropped so lucky to have had the whole summer that weekend! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wotcha Nutty, any chance of you popping back and returning that sun which you nicked and took home with you?

      Delete
    2. Nope...'cos some ratbag nicked it off me the day after we got home and it's been peeing it down here ever since!

      Delete
  10. ....and thank you very much (not) for reminding me about the mountain of ironing I've been ignoring for a fortnight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a fortnight? Sheesh girl, it doesn't count until the pile has been there at least a month!

      Delete
    2. It's been there a month now and I'm still ignoring it!

      Delete
  11. I dont know what is worse Bilbo. It hasn't rained here in over a month AND it was 104 F today! Can you say crispy?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, at least my plants are growing (albeit slowly). I talked last night with a friend in St Louis, it was 111 F on her covered deck and when she had been out earlier in the day the car reckoned it was 131.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}