Sunday, 10 June 2012

NGS Garden Visit, Crookdake

My second visit to this windswept cottage garden surrounding a traditional Cumbrian farmhouse.  The layout hasn't changed so the details can be found back in June 2009.  Strewth, has it really been three years?

I'll let a very small selection of the numerous photos I took speak for themselves.  The garden is open by appointment during June and July, contact details are here.  Alannah is an Assistant County Organiser for the National Garden Scheme and very welcoming;  definitely well worth a visit.















8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cottage garden!Full of interesting plants but not "too tidy" . I love the wild meadow, It`s obviously a good year for buttercups in the north, as well as down here in the wet south......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moring DW, yes, it is an utterly beautiful garden. She grows all the perennials I have on my mental 'to do' list but have just not brought/grown from seed yet :}

      Delete
  2. What a lovely garden!!! Lots of pretties to ooh and aah over. And, I'd love to ramble through that meadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello FFG, a haven for birds and insects, you should bring your binoculars!

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful ,,,, my idea of a perfect garden ,,, not perfect as in 'Perfect' but perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jill, it is perfect - and I know what sort of perfect you mean. Have a look at www.ngs.org.uk - might help you plan your next visit to Cumbria.

      Delete
  4. I really rather like the mowed path amidst the wildflower field in the last pic. What a terribly SIMPLE use of a large space. Wonderful pollinator fodder for the warm months, then just mow it down for winter. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this giving you ideas Kris? I know they have sown Yellow Rattle for at least three years to reduce the soil fertility and make better conditions for the wildflowers. Pretty certain you have to sow YR in the autumn.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}