Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Transformation

I knew this week was going to be hard and tiring when, on Sunday, LP suggested he work nearly every day seeing as we missed last week and he's on holiday at the beginning of June.  Trouble is, I hit the wall about 8.00 this morning and never managed to get over it.  Crummy photos today because I took them all too late when the light was flat and horrid.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, firstly, Monday. We were in timber mode - extra fence posts near the hornbeam hedge to support windbreak netting, extra willow so the screening now goes all the way to the house, and a monster larch slab construction next to the top pond. 



I had the place to myself on Tuesday.  Much playing with a section of pond edge to create a pebble beach butting up to the edge of the new frame.  Then lots of black membrane and numerous trips with Miss Daisy moving shredded bark into the new frame.   Transformation #1.  With the bench in place it's a fabulous place to sit and watch the water.





I'm sure I did loads of other things too because when I came in at 8.00pm (ooops - lost track of time, no wonder I was hungry!) I'd been busy all day ☺

When I woke up this morning I was still asleep.  You know the days when your brain has moved to a parallel universe and any energy or impetus has evaporated into the ether?  As I had a 9.00am appointment in town, LP arrived at 8.00 so I could tell him what to do before I left.  It's codswallop, he knows as well as me what needs doing, he just likes starting early.  By the time I got home the remainder of the boggy bed behind the top pond was nearly dug over and by lunchtime it was finished.  Transformation #2.  All of a sudden this looks like it might one day be a proper part of the garden with stuff growing in it!  Bear in mind these pictures are all "work in progress". 



My contribution to the progress (apart from sneakily moving the logs when LP had gone home) was endless mugs of tea and sitting chatting.  Management thinks he just likes the company and someone to talk to a lot of the time;  Management is usually right about those sort of things.

I remember what else I did yesterday - I fixed up the windbreak netting to protect the new hornbeam hedge and that meant the felled silver birch logs which were defining the edge of the bed could move.



I put a couple of them in the Coppice to start to experiment with where a narrow path to the step-cum-seat could go.  When LP saw I'd created another little 'wedge' of ground that seemed ready for cultivation he suggested digging that next. No argument from me, especially as it led to the planting of our sweet cherry tree, Prunus avium 'Sunburst'.  Time will tell whether we ever get any of the ripe fruit but it has been planted with an eye to the possibility of netting the tree to keep the birds off.



Transformation #3.  More of the Coppice ready for planting.  The very straight edge will not stay but we needed a line to work to.  I want the eventual path to be quite narrow and have a little kink in it.  Management might say "why can't I just walk in a straight line" but I'm going to be Garden Designer on this one. 



LP went home, I trampled all over the newly dug boggy bed in the interests of starting to create a big log pile and then remembered the physio instruction this morning not to lift anything heavy for a few days to give a rather sore triceps a chance to recover ...  better put the tools away and go in then!  Experience tells that the (unfinished) log pile is going to get re-arranged a considerable number of times before I'm happy with it.




9 comments:

  1. When you first installed the upper pond, the ground behind it was so high compared to the water that it kinda looked like cliff diving in Acapulco. But my goodness look what you've done there - bringing it down to something very comfortable (and natural) looking. No wonder you are worn out. As for LP -- I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't a cyborg. Does the man ever take a break? (If so, send him over here! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, LP just says he's someone who likes digging and is not afraid of hard work ... I just thank my lucky stars he is our friend. Looking at all he has done over the last year I wonder how on earth I ever thought I could do this garden by myself.

      Thanks for the lovely compliments about the pond. Yes we knew it looked weird when it started, every day it looks better as the ground around it gets sorted out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks FFG, it will look a whole lot better with plants growing on all that bare soil :}

      Delete
  3. Amazing progress, thank goodness for LP or you'd have worked yourself into an early grave by now. I really like the willow screening you've put up, I hope it's up to the weather up there. When you've finished your garden, could you come and design mine please??? Pretty please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, why wait until I finish Bag End (will i ever finish?

      I'd love to contribute some ideas to your garden, in fact, I'm already cogitating one which combines OH's love of birds with his love of carnivorous plants ..... fancy a chat this evening?

      Delete
    2. PS: we don't expect the willow screen to last more than a couple of winters but that's OK, by the time it dies the hornbeam should have grown sufficiently to give us screening.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thanks Sue, not sure about glow - maybe fine sheen of perspiration?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}