Sunday, 6 May 2012

Sometimes I forget just how big this garden is . . .

I could have coped with the damp on Sunday morning but not the cold.  It has been raw and bitter, so much so that I lit some candles in the greenhouse to give a little heat to the seeds which have germinated.  Ended up playing on the PC with a neat tool which (roughly) measures areas on Google Maps, there is a link to it on the right hand side of the blog.

This is Bag End and no, it's not big enough.  I could quite happily deal with another acre.



This is the garden we left behind in Hampshire.  On the edge of a housing development we felt the plot was large for a new build.



The back garden, on the left in green, and the front garden on the right.  Thanks to a tall hedge we had more privacy in the front than the back, that's where the pond went.  Ollie and I could sit out there first thing, him taking the air, me with dressing gown and coffee and we couldn't be seen, which was lovely.



I've always joked that the driveway at Bag End was the same size as the old back garden - seems I was right!
 


To compare the two plots, in order to have as much garden in Hampshire as we have now, we would have had to flatten the three houses next door, plus that belonging to our friends on the opposite corner and the road in between us!



Which may go some way to explaining the endless work and perpetual exhaustion!

I'd still like another acre though .....

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing tool. We've got 846 sq m, that's plenty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! 850 sq m isn't too shabby :}

      Delete
  2. You are lucky to have so much space to not need an allotment plot. We did look round some years ago with a view to buying something with more garden but in the end we gave up and settled for the allotment. The trouble is that it's never really yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I might regularly forget how big the garden is, but I never forget how fortunate I am to have it. I even have long-term plans for a section of it to be an allotment but right now there's a humongous wood pile in the way!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love this little tool,it's cool. I've just measured my allotment using it, I have the grand sum of 430.5 sq metres, or 0.11 acres to play with, and I love every inch of it... I wouldn't mind another acre though, maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy, thanks for saying hello. Hope your allotment does well this year.

      Delete
  4. Great post!! I thought your yard was a good size! I'll have to play with that tool. We left 120 acres in NY! I'll have to send you the map sometime Bilbo. You're doing a great job filling up your lovely space!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Eve. Still can't get used to you guys calling a garden the 'yard', in England, a yard is a tiny patch of land at the back of a building, usually with no soil, no plants .

      120 acres sounds nice, but a great deal of work, I'd just like one please, that's not too much to ask, is it?

      Delete
  5. If you had another acre, you'd probably also have a rotovator so it wouldn't be all that much more work!
    Where was it you used to live in Hampshire? (You know I live in fleet, I expect).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I already have the rotivator but never use it :} When I realised how much it chopped up worms I decided it wasn't worth it.

      I didn't realise you were in Fleet, we used to be between Winchester & Romsey.

      Delete
  6. Let me know when you have your first celebratory open gardens day and I will drive over to see it. We don't live all that far apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Mrs WoG, I don't know about an open gardens .... but if you are driving this way at any time make sure you let me know :}

      Delete
  7. I already know we've got an acre, but I might just have a play with the widget anyway!!!
    Heeheee...not long now!!!
    Our weekend in Cumbria is 2 days after we've done the 3 day Headship interview process, so you have NO idea just how much I'm looking forward to coming up! The thought of finally meeting you and Management keeps me smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get it to work. All I seem able to do when I click on a box is move the screen about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting to see your Hampshire plot and this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorted it :-) ,,, about what we thought, nearly 1200 square metres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, glad you got it sorted in the end. I'm surprised - I thought your garden was much bigger?

      Delete
  11. I wish I could send you some. My last house was less than .25 acres. I was there for 22 years and eventually filled it to the brim and tailored every nook and cranny. Here, though, at 1.25 acres, gardening from scratch is as daunting as trying to paint a parking lot with a toothbrush. So much space. So little of me. *pant*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much space. So little of me
      I hear you on that one, girlfriend! I still want another acre though :}

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Hello Y@H, thanks for visiting, glad you like the view.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}